underpitch problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbkdev

Reaction score
Think I may have under pitched the yeast in my first batch. 1 billion liquid wyeast 1056. Pitched into five gallons of a 70° 1.06 og wort at 9 pm. Airlock was bubbling every three seconds when I woke up in the morning. It's been 48 hours and is every four seconds now. Am I in trouble? If so can I remedy it at all?

I'd wait another 10 to 12 days before I'd check anything. Be patient... the yeasties are working.

Gary

I have two ounces of hops left to dry hop, was going to do at seven days, should I hold off? Was aiming to switch to my secondary then and add hops.

I'd wait.

If any fermentation is still going on, then the rising CO2 bubbles will scrub out that precious dry hop aroma. You want to make sure fermentation is completely finished before adding your dry hops.

For my IPAs, I don't touch them at all for 3 full weeks. Then I cold crash for a day, then add gelatin and wait 3 more days. Then I rack it to secondary, allow it to warm back up to room temperature, and add my dry hops. I wait a week, then cold crash again for a day (but no gelatin this time), then into the keg/bottles.

I have two ounces of hops left to dry hop, was going to do at seven days, should I hold off? Was aiming to switch to my secondary then and add hops.

If there;s still any kind of action in the airlock then leave it alone.
I would leave it be for at least a couple weeks before touching it.
You might even consider not transferring to secondary - just dry hop in primary and be done with it.

7 days isn't enough. Give it at least 14 days, but I primary for 21 days. One pkg of 1056 should be more than enough for your recipe, I don't believe that you under pitched, fermentation may be slow to start if the pack didn't swell appropriately before pitching.

If the recipe you're brewing calls for a dry hop in 7 days... by all means huck 'em in there. :) Butr I think it might be a tad early.

But... I'll offer this... you can do it or not... up to you... you really don't need that secondary. Even to dry hop. You can leave your brew in the primary, and dry hop right in there.

ALL my beers go to 14 days primary fermentation. If I need to dry hop. I just huck them in the primary and let them set for another 2 to 4 days. Then rack right to the keg after that. I don't brew crazy high gravity beers with weird concoctions. I brew what I like to drink. Amber ales, Pale Ales, and the occasional Oatmeal Stout, and they all go to 14 days in the primary. The only one I do, that I've racked to a keg at the 10 day mark was an American Hefe for my wife. All in the primary fermenter.

Nowthen... you can definately use a secondary if you wish. Just offering up, that you really don't even need to use that step in the brewing process. :)

Happy brewing!

Gary

This forum is excellent. I hope I'm able to pass along the help to other newbies someday. Thank you everyone.

If the recipe you're brewing calls for a dry hop in 7 days... by all means huck 'em in there. :) Butr I think it might be a tad early.

But... I'll offer this... you can do it or not... up to you... you really don't need that secondary. Even to dry hop. You can leave your brew in the primary, and dry hop right in there.

ALL my beers go to 14 days primary fermentation. If I need to dry hop. I just huck them in the primary and let them set for another 2 to 4 days. Then rack right to the keg after that. I don't brew crazy high gravity beers with weird concoctions. I brew what I like to drink. Amber ales, Pale Ales, and the occasional Oatmeal Stout, and they all go to 14 days in the primary. The only one I do, that I've racked to a keg at the 10 day mark was an American Hefe for my wife. All in the primary fermenter.

Nowthen... you can definately use a secondary if you wish. Just offering up, that you really don't even need to use that step in the brewing process. :)

Happy brewing!

Gary

My primary is a 7 gallon bottling bucket. Was going to xfer to a glass carboy so I could xfer back later and bottle. I really need to get another bucket huh.

This forum is excellent. I hope I'm able to pass along the help to other newbies someday. Thank you everyone.

We were all there at one time or another.

What was being told to me by my LHBS guy, and what I was reading here was 2 completely different animals. So I went with what I learned here... I'm still learing, the more and more I read.

But my beers turn out pretty darn good, and I owe it all to the information I have learned from here over the last 3 years. :)

There is so much information here it can send you into sensory overload. Just remember to keep things simple and you can't go wrong. :ban:

Gary

Buckets are cheap... I'd grab another one. :)

Gary

Or 3 or 4. You did underpitch, but the main problem would be some off flavors. They will probably not be enough that you will notice.

Pitching the proper amount of yeast will make your good beers - better.

If you are going to dry hop, work at it forwards and backwards. Wait until you have reached final gravity and then add the hops for 5-7 days. Or if you are already at final gravity, determine bottling day and look 5-7 days before that to add the hops.

Sooo it's been exactly six days since I pitched the yeast. Og was 1.06 , I just took a reading and it's at 1.013 . am I in the clear with my under pitch?

Back