Underattenuated IPA - Should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludovico

Reaction score
About a month ago I brewed a very generously hopped IPA with an OG of 1.072. I neglected to use a yeast starter and subsequently things bottomed out at 1.030. I have since dryhopped a significant amount for 10 days and want to bottle, but I'm concerned that it'll be very very sweet.

The beer will come in at or near 100 IBU's as it was very aggressively hopped - do you think it will be drinkable? Will this poor attenuation affect bottle conditioning?

I had a 1020 IPA that came out pretty good, but 1030 is going to be a really sweet beer. I say you should taste a sample and see how it is

If you have that much residual (and apparently fermentable) sugar left, aren't you concerned you'll create bottle bombs?

If you have that much residual (and apparently fermentable) sugar left, aren't you concerned you'll create bottle bombs?

Well, that's just exactly what I'm asking ("will this affect bottle conditioning") :p

You apparently have an essentially unknown quantity of sugar remaining in the beer. To this you're going to add another quantity of priming sugar to the beer under the premise that it's the only thing left to ferment in order to carbonate the beer. But it isn't. So the yeast are going to eat more sugar than anticipated, and produce more co2. How much more? You don't know. That's the problem.

I'd say you'll probably be OK on priming day. Your chances of being OK will decrease a small amount every day thereafter. :)

Can you re-rack to another vessel and re-yeast? Thats going to be an awfully sweet beer, I would do whatever you can to get the OG down before bottling... Get a packet of s-05 for 2$ and throw it in... If you have some success with this then maybe you can re-dry hop (or not) and bottle.

With 1.030 in the bottle you will: a) get bombs, or b) have a gross syrupy beer... I'd rather do what I can to make your time and effort worthwhile than end up with something semi-worthless and gross, just my .02

Do not use beano. It took my experiment beer to 1.000 and it tastes like Hersbucker and Club Soda with bunch of esters, and it took 4 weeks to stop fermenting after the introduction to beano.

I would make another (huge) starter and dump it in when it's actively going.

Back