Underattenuated Baltic Porter Help… Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphoppotamuss

Reaction score
Two weeks in fermenting a Baltic Porter, which seems to be finished at 73% attenuation.

85% base malts ( Pilsner and Munich) 15% adjuncts. Mashed at 150° all grain and pitched three packs of 34/70 no starter. OG 1.084

Initially fermented at 58 & seemed to finish at 1.022 on day 5. ( confirmed with my calibrated old school hydrometer) … Swished around, Bumped to 64 two days and then 68 two days. Seems to be finished at 1.022 which equals 73% attenuation. I was hoping to get the attenuation to around 80%. Tastes “ok” but definitely on the sweet side.

I have a few packs of dry yeast in the armamentarium. S-189 , Voss Kveik, S-05 Belle Saison and Nottingham. I was thinking pitching a small starter with the Nottingham would best get me to the 80% finish line? Thoughts?
D8513A74-F608-4021-88D3-BFDA49B27B1E.jpeg

Last edited:
What was the full grain bill? Also, the mash length?

2 lb Munich Dark 20L
10 lb Pilsner Weyermann
12 oz Chocolate
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz Black Patent
2 oz Roasted Barley
3 lb Pilsen Light Briess DME in boil

75 minute mash at 150
15 minute mashout at 168…

I'd say you're probably not too far from the result I might expect for 34/70 with your wort. And I think Nottingham would probably get you close to 80%. From a flavor prespective, I would steer clear of the other ale strains you mentioned.

Nottingham will probably do nothing for you. In my experience, it grows tired and settles out at 9% ABV. You're already at 8.3% ABV. Also its maximum atenuation is about 78%. You're already at 74%, which is totally normal for W-34/70. Notty will not be happy if added at the end of fermentation like this.

I am not sure how the other yeasts would fare.

I'd agree with the others, not much you can do now.
~73% attenuation is definitely acceptable, for a big beer with lots of roast a low-ish AA may actually be beneficial, the sweetness is felt now but with a bit of aging it might blend together to something really nice.
If it turns out drinkable but a wee bit sweeter than optimal, chalk it up as a learning experience and maybe look over the grist and mash to make it more fermentable if you brew a second version.

Another vote on leaving things alone. If it’s “ok, but a little sweet” tasting a sample from the fermenter, it might be spot on when cold and conditioned and carbonated. Carb a little on the high side if you’re concerned.

That said, I make barleywines with Nottingham. No troubles using it way above 10%.

That said, I make barleywines with Nottingham. No troubles using it way above 10%.

Yeah, Llalemand claims 14% ABV tolerance for Nottingham. Like with any strain, it could be higher or lower, depending on how you treat it.

Yeah. I think I’m just gonna keg and condition 4-6 months and hope it dries out a bit. Worst case scenario I get an 8.5% dessert beer. 😉

It's a Baltic Porter dude,give it 6-8 months ,it should be awesome. Next time skip the DME and add a pale malt,mash at 148* for 2 hrs and that should get you to 1.020 or so.
Agreed. Once carbed and aged it'll be spot on. Next time use sugar instead of dme. Mash low etc..loop.back and let us know. Cheers!

Already tastes incredible.

Im letting her condition for another month or two but the samples I’ve tasted were delicious. 😋

You kegged this beer ~2.5 months ago. Does the beer still have some unwanted haze or something? If not, why are you letting it age? Generally speaking, there are more bad things happening (i.e. staling reactions) than good at this stage. What do you think might be happening that would improve on "incredible" and "delicious?"

You kegged this beer ~2.5 months ago. Does the beer still have some unwanted haze or something? If not, why are you letting it age? Generally speaking, there are more bad things happening (i.e. staling reactions) than good at this stage. What do you think might be happening that would improve on "incredible" and "delicious?"
Main reason being I have 3 kegs in the pipeline to finish before I can start on this one! 😂

Latest posts

Back