Under Sink connection for garden hose hookup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madesofspades

Reaction score
Ive attached the picture of under my bathroom sink. Ideally I could turn the valve off, disconnect the sink hookup, and add an adapter onto the valve that would have a garden hose valve to connect a hose to? The current valve requires a 5/8' wrench to remove the hookup. Does anyone know if this exists?

I bought my wort chiller used -- it already has the male 1/4' barb adapter caulked into the end of the tubing -- so better question is, maybe I just get a 5/8' female connection that would connect right to the valve shutoff under my sink, and then all I have to do is run 1/4' tubing from my sink to the wort chiller connection?

Need to get this wort chiller figured out in my new apartment so I can brew some suds!

Attachments

• IMG-0719.jpg
    IMG-0719.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Call the maintenance guy, explain to him what you're trying to do and tell him you'll trade beer (or money) for him to make it happen. If he doesn't go for it, then I would start looking into a DIY plan

A friend of mine was the building maintenance guy for a complex and was asked to do little jobs like that all the time. He was usually happy to do it because it was more often than not on OT or cash on the side and he didn't ever have to pay for the parts.

Other than that I'm not gonna be any help ;) cheers!

Is there a removable aerator on the faucet in that sink?
If so, you can screw a garden hose adapter into that.

Are you going to drain into that same sink? If so, make sure it actually drains well and fast, and doesn't overflow. Sometimes removing the sink stopper allows you to drain faster, by just sticking the hose directly down into the drain hole.

What you need is something like this:

1603344818545.png

How you would obtain same is a bit of a mystery...

Cheers!

[edit] Same company, closer solution (this one actually has the GHT male like a hose bib)...

1603345264111.png

Check this page out: Tee + Valve Kits | Dahl Valve Limited as there are options for different supply valves...

Last edited:
Highly unlikely.

get an adapter tee like shown above, and use some 5/16 or 3/8 vinyl tubing to bring the water to your chiller. Vinyl Hose > barb/npt > npt/garden hose adapter > chiller connection.

I'd also buy a GHT cap for a little extra protection from the valve getting knocked and accidently turning on the water under your sink....

Then you don’t have to worry about doing any plumbing and causing any problems with your landlord.
Yeah, G_d forbid you spring a leak, or much worse, while you're away.

As an alternative, most shower heads are 1/2" NPT, IIRC.

I like that fitting @day_trippr found. But hose connections are drippy and if you go with the faucet adapter any drips will fall into the sink. If the sink drain is a bit slow you could drain into tub or shower that probably has larger drain line.

Back