Under pitch, over pitch, what are they experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I watched a Chop an Brew recently that made one of the most clear statements about over pitching. It resembles some of the stuff I have brewed...watery tasting.

The comment was that the worst thing you can do is over pitch an IPA because you strip out all the hop flavors and even body.

Using my Zymatic 2.5g system I would like to do a two batch day. Brew a nice hoppy IPA recipe and in one batch pitch a 'regular' pitch and in the other 'overpitch'.

To make sure my yeast beasties are similar in density, I'll probably use my go to Nottingham dry yeast.

So, I use Brewer's Friend for my recipes and I use their yeast calculator to determine my pitching rates. The problem is I actually have NO idea what the Pro or Pro +75 or Mfg counts are doing.

Any ideas what pitching rates on Brewer's Friend might be 'regular' and what might be over pitching?

3-29-2016 4-01-42 PM.jpg

Ha, very interesting and that all makes sense.

So, I think for me now I need to find that under pitch and control level. I am seeing a lot of different information on the quantity of cells in drys.

I'll just leave the over pitch out of it since the message there seems to be consistent about the thinner body less hop flavors.

Not sure about that experiment, but I will tell you that I regularly pitch at a rate of 1.25 M cells / mL / degree Plato for all my IPAs and Pales, and I get very nice, clean, fast and complete fermentations and there is no issue at all with thinness or being watery. But then again, I don't think anyone would consider 1.25 as "over-pitching". My point is: don't fear those higher rates. I'd much rather err on that side than the alternative. Just don't go crazy high.

Back