Under Counter Kegerator Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
I know it's mostly a DIY crowd around here - and I appreciate rolling up my sleeves as much as the next guy, but I'm considering just spending money on this one.

I have a chest freezer that I use currently as fermentation chamber / conditioning / serving (just a picnic tap right now, no collar). I've been debating getting a second chest freezer and building a real keezer for serving so I can use my current chest freezer primarily as a fermentation chamber. However, I think I have a perfect place under a counter that is already plumbed for a sink, so I can make it into a real wet bar area and not have to have another

So my plan would be to ferment, force carb / condition in my chest freezer. If/when I run out of cold storage between the kegerator and the chest freezer, store the kegs at room temp, until I wanna plug them into the kegerator for serving.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Summit kegerators? Any opinions? I imagine I would want to upgrade to perlick faucets. Is there a major downside to the tower not being fan cooled? I'm looking at this one: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/builtin/SBC490BITRIPLE.shtml

Your plan sounds good! Definitely upgrade to Perlicks. If the tower isn't cooled, your first pour can be foamy. You can add a PC fan or try one of the passive (copper pipe) solutions very easily though. I'd also ask them if they can upgrade the beverage lines to 10 feet each.

Your plan sounds good! Definitely upgrade to Perlicks. If the tower isn't cooled, your first pour can be foamy. You can add a PC fan or try one of the passive (copper pipe) solutions very easily though. I'd also ask them if they can upgrade the beverage lines to 10 feet each.

Ahhh good advice! I'll def check on the 10foot lines! Thanks very much for the feedback on that. Unfortunately they said they wouldn't switch the taps for perlicks as an optional upgrade, i would have to get the regular taps and then buy the perlicks individually :(

Either way - I think the solution makes sense and will probably make the wife happier to have a nice built in solution that's out of sight. Another chest freezer wasn't going to go over well.

Latest posts

Back