Unconverted starches contribute to gravity, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Unconverted starches contribute to gravity, OG and subsequently FG, right?

A while back I used some cooked fresh corn in a saison. After a long, low mash, my iodine test appeared to be moderately positive. That was okay, as far as I was concerned, because I'm secondary aging with Brett.

My calculations for gravity (which were best guesses based on sugar and water content of fresh corn) surprising came out nearly spot on. I assumed some of this was not gravity from sugar, but gravity from unconverted starches. I expected these unconverted starches to result in a higher than anticipated FG. Again, not too much of a concern, because I'd be pitching Brett.

After a week of 3711 fermentation, I was down to 1.004. So, was my iodine test not as foreboding as it appeared, and I actually had pretty good conversion, or do unconverted starches not really contribute to gravity? i.e. if I had starch in there, would that not have effected my OG, and if there was still starch after fermentation, would that not effect my FG?

Back