Unconventional hops growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried non-conventional hops trellises? I have some hops growing over my hoop house/chicken coop and some other hops giving us privacy to our porch. They both give me plenty of hops to harvest. I don't have any pics but might have to take some.

Be more curious and dig a bit.
There's been a metric crapton of different ways to train bines shown here - in pictures - over the years.
Some were epically optimistic....

Cheers! ;)

Thaymond... You posted that two years ago, is that what you still use? Very cool idea.

Yes. I still update that thread as well, even though it says 2014. There's a handfull of others who have adopted this design as well, which is humbling.

Yes. I still update that thread as well, even though it says 2014. There's a handfull of others who have adopted this design as well, which is humbling.

Me being one of them. I'm looking forward to watching it fill in this year.

I have one growing up an old telephone pole, and then two more going up a trellis to lines running up to the fence. I'm hoping the fence-lines will make for easy picking since they are all reachable from the ground or with a stepstool
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464032694.908911.jpg
That's the neo1 on the side of trellis
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464032839.807096.jpg
Cascade is on the front and already going nuts
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464032925.346851.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464032995.204133.jpg

The pole
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464033022.991353.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464033037.008180.jpg

I got a few pics of mine. My sun screen has to get trained daily but once done, we get great privacy and sun shielding for our porch. The chicken coop pic is a little obscured by my single stem apple trees but the idea is there. They actually do a very good job of giving the coop some cover.

002resize.jpg

001resize.jpg

I have hops everywhere. My cascade goes up an archway trellis, about 6 feet tall right in my yard by my little fish pond, and my chinook covers my greenhouse (it's empty in the summer). My hallertauer goes up a light pole, and the 3 centennials grow up along my porch, up the side of my garage, and along a garden fence.

Goldings, northern brewer and zeus go up the side of my garden on the west side.

I don't have any traditional hop supports or climbing places for them.

Yooper, one of your pics is the inspiration for posting this. I was curious to see what people have come up with when the look at hops as an incredibly fast growing vine and had some fun with it. Beer and plant art.

Back