Uncarbonated beer tastes watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austy91

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew and decided to take a taste of it smells good and has somewhat the flavor I hoped for but it has a watery taste that drowns out a lot of the flavor. Is this normal in uncarbed brew?

Do you mind if I ask, what did you brew? Beer kit or your own recipe? And did you follow the instructions or change anything up?

I brewed a sweet oatmeal porter, from a kit. I didn't change any ingredients

I've never had an oatmeal porter be watery, but it will richen somewhat with the carbonic acid and aging. What was the OG, FG, yeast used?

I would just wait it out and see what it tastes like when it's finished in the bottle. How long did the kit say to bottle?

It was a sweet oatmeal Porter kit. The og was 1.051 and the finished is 1.015. And the yeast I used was Windsor.

If you need any taste testers I can offer my services!

My first beer (pale ale) tasted a bit watery before bottles and now it's anything but...actually waiting a few more weeks for the bitterness to go away - too bitter for my taste.

So it should be fine!

Finishing at 1.015 it shouldn't be watery at all, but Windsor can give that impression early on. It will continue to improve with age. Try one in a month and you'll have a very different beer.

In my experience, tasting of the young/flat beer on bottling day doesn't tell you much of anything. I've had samples that tasted great but ended up being a sub-par beer, and vice versa.

If uncarbonated beer tasted as good as carbonated beer nobody would bother carbonating beer.

It's fine to taste your beer before it's finished ... but you have to convince yourself not to worry if the unfinished beer doesn't taste like you want the finished beer to taste like.

Back