Unbloomed Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helencellar

Reaction score
hey guys, I pitched my second brew without blooming/activating my dry yeast, and morning after setting the beer to ferment I haven’t seen much going on. Slight bubbling, small white bubbles around the top.

The instructions in my homebrew kit were fairly vague and didn’t mention blooming the yeast, and i didn’t realize until I started cleaning up that the yeast packet instructs you to activate before pitching.

Am I boned? Can I fix this? How can I fix this?

I’ve been told it should be fine and that it might just take longer to ferment.

Thoughts?

The bubbles mean the yeast has been activated. I’m sure that by the time you read my post you will see more activity. It sounds to me like everything is going as planned.

True as can be. By the time I got home to check we noticed a 1/4-1/2 inch foam covering the top. Thanks <3

My experience with dry yeast is that it is very forgiving and therefore extremely easy to control. One thing I try to do when rehydrating and then pitching a dry yeast is to stay within 5 degrees of the yeast slurry and the wort. I just put down a Barleywine and the yeast slurry was at 87 degrees F and the wort was at 90 degrees F. Now I am bringing it down to fermentation temps. It is an hour later and I am getting bubbles in my blow off liquid already.

Back