Unable to regulate CO2 regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon1975

Reaction score
I just swapped out the CO2 tank and set my regulator to 12psi but after a few minutes it rises to about 25-30psi. After I swapped the tank, I sent to 12psi and then opened up the valve. Am I doing something wrong? Is the regulator no good? New to kegging, any advice would greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Open the main tank valve ALL the way. Never operate halfway open, the valve won't seal properly that way.

Have no kegs connected.

Turn the reg all the way down (loosen, counter-clockwise) then pull the pressure relief ring on the side of the regulator. Now it's empty.

Slowly crank the regulator up (tighten, clockwise) until it reaches your intended pressure on the gauge.

Stick the quick disconnect on the keg's gas (in) post and let it stabilize. It should stay where you put it, give or take. Adjust accordingly.

It should remain there unless your keg has a higher internal pressure than you've set your regulator at. In that case, bleed your keg a bit by pulling the PRV valve.

Turns out the regulator wasn't any good, bought a new one and everything is all good! Thanks for the info, IslandLizard!

Back