Umm yeah, I might have screwed up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about this, but I do know that I screwed up on my last kegging..

I have 3 cornies, 2 of which have new o-rings. The 3rd, does not (I bought the last 2 sets my LHBS had)..
Well, like a retard, I just noticed that the 2 corny kegs in my basement had the new o-rings. The one I used did not.

What's the chances that my perfectly fermented "januaryfest" is going to come out tasting like Diet Pepsi or Root Beer?

FWIW, the corny was thoroughly cleaned with B-Brite and Idophor before I kegged into it.
The seals that were on there were good, but ive heard horror stories about people having beer that tasted like soda because the orings hold the soda flavoring...

i never changed the seals on any of my kegs so far and have had no off flavors. I did buy them used so they could have been changed before i got them, but the kegs did have some 7up smell to them when i got them.

The only reason you would have to worry would be if they were rootbeer kegs, that smell and flavor never comes off, the only way is to replace the rubber. You immediately know if they are rootbeer kegs though because as soon as you open the empty keg you smell rootbeer.

Chello said:
i never changed the seals on any of my kegs so far and have had no off flavors. I did buy them used so they could have been changed before i got them, but the kegs did have some 7up smell to them when i got them.

+1
& +1 for rootbeer = all new o-rings

I definetly didn't smell root beer.
Actually, we were kidding around that all 3 smelled like Diet Pepsi.

Pepsi makes a root beer?

HUGE -1 for root beer. My kegs were root beer, did a couple very hot rinses, one overnight Oxi-clean free, hot water soak, another hot rinse and my kegs neither smell, nor taste like root beer.

So if that could get rid of root beer, it could get rid of diet pepsi

If you have the O-rings, you can change them out with the beer in there. Just take each post off and do them one at a time. Keep some sanitzer close by and just sanitize it before you put it back on the keg. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes. If you haven't tapped it yet, the beer hasn't been in contact with the o-rings, so it shouldn't have picked up any off flavors yet. Make sure you rinse and sanitize the dip tube before putting it back in.

jdoiv said:
If you have the O-rings, you can change them out with the beer in there. Just take each post off and do them one at a time. Keep some sanitzer close by and just sanitize it before you put it back on the keg. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes. If you haven't tapped it yet, the beer hasn't been in contact with the o-rings, so it shouldn't have picked up any off flavors yet. Make sure you rinse and sanitize the dip tube before putting it back in.

I was wondering if I could do that!
Thanks!

Back