umm how long is it supposed to take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
Okay so I have my first mead going. But there is no sign of anything in the airlock. It's been two days now and I guess I was thinking that it should show signs of something. Here's the recipie I used:

5lbs clover honey
1gallon water
1packet champangene yeast

So my question is how long until some activity is supposed to start or is there supposed to be?

Or am I just impatient?

If you don't get any bubbles at all when you add the nutrient, then try swirling it a little. Then if you still don't get any more bubbles, shake it like it owes you money. Mead takes a lot to get it going, unlike beer. You won't ever see any major fermentation either, just some bubbles, and sometimes yeast 'islands' on top of the must from time to time.

that a massive amount of honey for a 1 gallon batch. the gravity might be so high the yeast cannot rehydrate.

meads with this high a honey quantity usually start with no more than 3.5lbs of honey, and the rest is 'fed' into the fermenting mead at weekly intervals.

I would degass (if there is any co2), add nutrient, and do some heavy aeration.

My method is by shaking it slowly while slowly taking off a stop top.
Add nutrient.
Put the stop top back on and shake it violently for 4 minutes.

I've noticed the longer and more violent I shake my meads the faster they finish fermenting.

Back