Belgian Dark Strong Ale Ulysses (Clone of Allagash Odyssey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cegan09

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Harvest from Allagash White. Alternatively use a Belgian Wheat yeast
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
27.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 68-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2-3 months in secondary with a small amount of Oak
Tasting Notes
Roast, chocolate, candi sugar, decently well blended, gets better with age
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 41.1 %
6 lbs Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 35.2 %
12.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.4 %
9.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 24.3 IBUs
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 5 min Hop 2.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 2.1 IBUs
2 lbs 3.2 oz Candi Sugar, Clear [Boil for 5 min] Sugar 12.9 %
8.0 oz Candi Sugar, Dark [Boil for 5 min] Sugar 2.9 %
1.0 pkg Belgian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3942) Yeast

Mash at 149-150.

I've wanted to make this beer ever since Allagash stopped brewing it. It's one of my all time favorite beers. Allagash calls it a dark wheat beer, but everyone else seems to classify it as a belgian strong dark ale. The ingredients list from Allagash is as follows: Grains - Allagash 2-row Malted Barley Blend, Red Wheat Malt, Roasted Barley. Hops - Perle, East Kent Goldings, and Czech Saaz. Other - candi sugar

Allagash ages part in oak, and part in stainless then blends. I soaked 2 oz of cubes in bourbon, then drained the extra liquid and added the cubes to secondary then forgot about the beer for a little over 2 months. The oak is just about right. It's there but it's not in your face, which is how the original is.

I found one or two other clones floating around, but they strayed a little more than I wanted from the allagash grain list. My only changes were to use dark wheat instead of red because it's what the store had, add some flaked barley, and use dark as well as clear candi sugar. The result is close, but certainly not perfect. But it's a great beer that is only getting better the longer I let it sit. It's been a couple years since I had Odyssey fresh, so I had to compare to a bottle that was aging for 4 years. They are very close, although my pallet is not good enough to pick out the exact nuances of difference. Mine as obviously fresher and not as well melded. But it had the same hints at roast, and candi, with raisin in the nose. Overall I'd put it at 85% there if you're really trying to clone, but a fantastic beer in it's own right. I'll be setting aside bottles of this to try over a long time.

I always venture into recipe threads looking for pictures so here's a couple.

Attached two pictures. One is my beer poured 5 minutes ago. The other is
from 2014, the last time I drank fresh Odyssey. Lighting and glass aren't really the same, but best I can find from my photo stash.

Mine is a hint darker, but held to the light you get the same red hue to come through, it's just hard to photograph. Next time I might try to drop the SRM a point or two.

IMG_20150412_191417.jpg

20170717_210932.jpg

Roughly 6 month update. The beer has a very slight tart note leading it off now, and then some very allagash type notes throughout presumably from the yeast. A bit less raisin, a bit less roast. It's a really good beer at this point. can't wait to see how it goes down the road. Definitely on the list to be made again.

Sounds good.
Might give this one a try later in the year, have everything on hand except the yeast but I wanted to order some for making a Witbier and a Raging ***** clone for the Summer.
So I can harvest some from the Witbier for this. :)

Looking for something to use the allagash white clone yeast cake for and found this. Has anyone else made it? OP make it again? Any changes? If anyone else has good ideas for the yeast cake please let me know. Thanks!

Back