Ultra-Barrier Silver (EJ beverage) results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_57401

Reaction score
Hello.

I am looking at purchasing some of this from Morebeer (3/16 ID), to avoid the plastic taste issue. A few questions:

1. I would put it on a short line with a picnic tap. any issues connecting to the barbs on the tap?

2. I would like to coil it in approx 8-10 inch diameter coils. Will it do this?

3. How has it performed? Any off taste at all?

I found EJ Beverage stuff hideously expensive. I use Bevlex 200 and Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra tubing on my taps. On picnic taps I use regular food grade quality vinyl tubing, it's a short piece and beer doesn't stay in there very long.

All beer lines need regular cleaning regardless what they are made from.

I switched over to this because I was noticing some plastic taste on my pale beers with my previous lines. It is quite expensive but I decided to pay for it because I wanted to avoid the semi rigid stuff and get something I could coil on top of the kegs (which it does nicely, I have about 11 ft lines to balance things). No off flavors at all, I've been using it about 6 months now. It goes on barbs like regular lines though I haven't tried a picnic tap. I dip the ends in hot water and jam them on. Have you seen Rev2010's review on the stuff? See "similar thread posts" below. That's what prompted me to try it.

Thanks for the input. I would use about a 4 ft piece coiled on top of the corney, inside the keg fridge. I anticipate drinking a pint every 24-48 hours, so it will reside in the tubing for a while. The picnic tap should serve fine for the foreseeable future.

But perhaps not much more. In my systems, a keezer (4 taps) and a Danby kegerator (2 taps) I've found 5 -6 ft. of this line to work quite well. That helps to offset the cost a bit.

As always YMMV...

Actually, I should have said 4.5 feet: 4.5x2.2psi drop/ft = 9.9 psi serving pressure. This should give me around 2.5 volumes at the temps I was planning.

Back