Ultimate RIMS box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysteryberto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The last few weekends my dad and I have been building the ultimate RIMS toolbox.

The first picture is the front of the toolbox. The Auber instruments controller is currently reading 150 degrees and working at getting to 155 degrees. There is a fan in front as well as the switch for controlling the pump.

The second picture shows the stainless steel chugger pump head on the march pump. The selector switches allow for you to select whether the liquid should flow through the RIMS tube or just the pump head. In the bottom right there is a bleeder valve that makes priming the pump much easier.

The third picture shows the back of the RIMS box and the custom RIMS tube. The tube is mounted at an angle to allow for easy draining. The white cap on the left covers the connections made to the hot water heater element. Each end of the RIMS tube is easily removed with the clamp fittings.

The fourth picture shows the inside of the box. Wiring still needs to be cleaned up a bit.

The fifth picture shows the terminal block inside it's box that flips open and close.

The sixth picture shows the GFI outlet that feeds all other devices inside the box and also provides for external outlets for devices such as a grain mill.

The seventh picture shows one side of the RIMS tube disassembled. This side includes the RTD style temperature probe and the out fitting.

IMG_6773.jpg

IMG_6776.jpg

IMG_6777.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

IMG_6779.jpg

Nice box! You may or may not want to have the bleeder valve higher, but if it floods the pump head you will just force any air bubbles through the rest of the system anyway. Time to try it out and brew a batch!

I dig the composite toolbox too, maybe I should be looking for something similar for my control box. Hmmmm...

Nice work! looks very thought out and well put together, I like your version of the RIMS heater. Why did you decide to go with the whole portable version?

Looks good, I wonder which contractor "donated" the labor and parts for this government project build. Having been there and done that myself it helps to have friends in the right places to build things like this. Was this a "Ronler acres" project, or one of the other high tech campuses.

Nice job on the tool box, I like it; easy to move around and keep dry. I used a large electrical box like you would find at a big hardware store.

For what its worth, anyone planning on building their own RIMS set up should consider contacting a welder to have it put together. That way, it would be more compact, and would likely be cheaper. This would be especially true if you minimized the number of small fittings welded into the larger pipe. They don't even need to be especially nice, sanitary welds since the RIMS isn't sanitized.

Back