uh oh...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Ok, so I've got a stuck ferment on my hands. OG was 1.076. 3522 belgian ardens yeast. I transfered to 2nd added oak chips then tested gravity... omg! it's 1.040!!!!!!!!! Got a heat belt from my LHBS and a fish tank sticky thermometer. It was sitting at 86*F Now there's mold growing on top... Is this batch sunk? Should I get a smack pack, rack to 3rd and re-pitch? Total bummer cause this is my first harvest ale. All the hops I grew in my backyard went into this beer... I'm going to be bummed if it dosn't turn out because of some yeast getting tired and pooping out on me.

Mold...not good. Don't bother re-pitching until you take care of your mold problem.

Skim any mold that you can, carefully pour the beer into your brew kettle, heat it to 150-170 for about 15 minutes, then cool it back to fermentation temperature. Taste it. If it still tastes ok, re-pitch.

Also, as you probably know, You never want to let fermenting wort get to 86F. That could be what wacked your yeast. Good luck with this one.

Latest posts

Back