Uh Oh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTMavs

Reaction score
I moved my Weizenbier from primary to secondary after 10 days. It was a beautiful gold color and after a couple days it has turned dark!? Didn't have time to pull the plug and give it a smell. Does this indicated the beer has been infected? The carboy was sanitized prior to filling. Maybe not well enough?

Did it look cloudy too or was it clear? Ten days in the fermentation process is probably just finishing up and the yeast probably hasn't fully dropped out yet. The darkening color is just the beer clarifying. Light passing through that much liquid will give it a darker color. Most infections I have seen are things that float on top and don't necessarily "darken" the whole beer. I would say you are just fine, give it a few more days and it should clear up.

Normal - yeast dropping out. Pull a sample and pour into a glass, bet it looks great :)

Back