Uh oh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Pulled back the grass clippings covering the five year old today and guess what? Sprouts! I think that this is the earliest I've seen them. Checked the second years and they were pushing through too. I tucked them all back in. It's been mild for a couple of days so I guess that's it. Too bad it's going to be back below freezing at night by the middle of next week!

It froze and snowed on mine last year after they came up. That didn't slow them down. Now the freeze in July, THAT slowed things down.

Sprouts in MI? DAYUM! I hope to see some soon then!

Sprouts in MI? DAYUM! I hope to see some soon then!

Yup yup! I live on a lake very close to water level, so that screws with the ground temp. a bit I think.

And david, I remeber your pics of sprouts covered with snow last year. By the looks of things they broke ground days ago when it was still freezing day and night here.:confused: Guess it was the daily visits through winter with me telling the dormant roots that I loved them:fro:

I just looked at mine today and the shoots are starting to break ground. It's been cold and rainy and supposed to frost all weekend. I think hops are pretty hardy.

since the ground here was frozen on mon/tues. i doubt that it's to 42* yet. granted that the op is on very low ground, watering is not a problem there, the lake that surrounds his house was frozen when i was there on last fri so i wouldnt expect for it to be 42 there either with only 2 days of 50 degrees.

I have shoots all over the place here in Portland OR. Even though its sunny AND hailing right now....I am about to go set my strings!

just checked mine here in Nebraska, the centennial have two inch shoots, and the mt. hood are about 1 inch, they are under mulch still.

Do certain varieties sprout later than others? I see sprouts around my Cascade but not around the Willamette.

I'm going to have to check out my 2nd years out. I was planning on cutting the grass back on them and covering them with new mulch before they spouted. I still have to build my new trellis too.

Back