Uh-Oh, I've never seen this before...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
My level of concern should be?
DSC_00094.JPG

None existent.

Just looks like one of the uglier remaining krausens. Some make curdle cottage sheesy looking things, some look like a cracked landscape, some look like frothy whipped creap, some look like dessicated ears. Every yeast has it's own characteristics...

Never worry about a wiered shaped krausen....

None existent.

Just looks like one of the uglier remaining krausens. Some make curdle cottage sheesy looking things, some look like a cracked landscape, some look like frothy whipped creap, some look like dessicated ears. Every yeast has it's own characteristics...

Never worry about a wiered shaped krausen....

Thanks Revvy. I am absolutely meticulous in my sanitation protocols so I never expect infection. This is my first Oktoberfest and first lager so i am definately using new ingredients, yeasties, etc. Just taking a gravity readin after 2 weeks in the primary. Thought I would ask for some experience.

Took a gravity reading and it came out at 1.026, down from 1.066 OG. Tasted the sample and it actually has some carbonation to it (this suprised me). Tasted the sample and while it tasted nice, if a bit sweet, it gave me a rather significant cotton mouth feel. I'm not real sure what that is all about. Obviously it still needs time in the primary before I rack it for lagering.

Any thoughts about the mouth feel of the sample? Am I just tasting yeasty beer since there is still so much work for them yet to do?

Any thoughts about the mouth feel of the sample? Am I just tasting yeasty beer since there is still so much work for them yet to do?

I never worry about, or even really judge the tastes of my beers till they have been AT LEAST 3 weeks in the bottle....or up to 6 or so....

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

It's really hard to judge whether something is truly an off flavor, or is just green, until you pass a window of greenness. And that's usually based on the gravity/abv of the beer.... my belgian strong dark tasted like rocket fuel for 3 months, and is now perfect...and strong.

You have a lot of yeast in suspension and the beer is still really young

And I've even had most off flavors dissappear with time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Your beer has a huge journey to go and will change over time....heck 90% of my beers are 2 months minimum from grain to glass...1 month in primary and 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning...I don't even bother to taste my beer samples until bottling day...and I don't "judge" or stress out about even then...it won't taste the same at the end of the journey.....

Relax. :mug:

I never worry about, or even really judge the tastes of my beers till they have been AT LEAST 3 weeks in the bottle....or up to 6 or so....

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

It's really hard to judge whether something is truly an off flavor, or is just green, until you pass a window of greenness. And that's usually based on the gravity/abv of the beer.... my belgian strong dark tasted like rocket fuel for 3 months, and is now perfect...and strong.

You have a lot of yeast in suspension and the beer is still really young

And I've even had most off flavors dissappear with time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Your beer has a huge journey to go and will change over time....heck 90% of my beers are 2 months minimum from grain to glass...1 month in primary and 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning...I don't even bother to taste my beer samples until bottling day...and I don't "judge" or stress out about even then...it won't taste the same at the end of the journey.....

Relax. :mug:

Thanks for the detailed input as always Revvy. This is definately not a "patience thing." I am taking my first reading after two weeks in the primary to get an idea of where my fermentation is before I leave home for a couple weeks. As I saw no reason to waste the beer that was used for a sample I decided to taste it to begin to gain some experience tasting beer at different stages of fermentation. Since I am inexperienced in this tasting process I thought I would ask for input on what exactly it was that was hitting my pallet. I figured it was heavy yeast content as I assume there are still many in suspension given the amount of time in the primary as well as the current gravity reading of 1.026. As much help as the HBT community is, there is still no substitute for personal experience.

Additionally, I have read all of your blogs and have certainly learned loads from them. Your commitment to the science as well as your commitment here those like me just starting out is much appreciated. And I am always relaxed...thanks again.

Back