Uh oh. Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatDaddy

Reaction score
So I took a peek at the fermenter when I got home from work today and saw a bunch of these little white spots all centered in the neck. These dots were not in the fermenter this morning before I went to work. Please tell me this isn't mold.

And if this is mold, is there a way to get rid of it? The stuff could be reached with a sanitized paper towel I'm thinking, but I am worried that might drop a few of the dots into the beer itself. My other thought is that they may be droplets of yeast that stuck to the neck when I poured the packet in. Sorry about the poor quality pics.

IMG00036-20120204-1649.jpg

IMG00037-20120204-1651.jpg

I've seen that before, I don't think it's mold. Don't worry about that unless it gets into the beer.

I've seen that before, I don't think it's mold. Don't worry about that unless it gets into the beer.

All righty. In theory if those spots don't grow any bigger they won't touch the beer. It's just a little worrisome that they weren't there this morning.

Is it time to worry if they grow bigger or more of them show up though?

Can't really tell from the pictures but the first one just looks like krausen from the fermentation that stuck to the neck of the carboy when it subsided and the other one just looks like some yeasts rafts. Nothing at all to worry about. Not a thing looks like mold.

If you used dry yeast w/o reydrating, that's the likely culprit...almost every time I pitch a packet of dry yeast, I end up with little spots like that on the neck - I guess I have bad aim...

If your hat worried if you have another open fermenter you could carefully rack it and get it away from the questionable funk.

If you used dry yeast w/o reydrating, that's the likely culprit...almost every time I pitch a packet of dry yeast, I end up with little spots like that on the neck - I guess I have bad aim...

I did use dry yeast without rehydrating and I do remember some hitting the neck.

I sincerely hope that's the only issue. Thanks for the quick responses guys. Cheers!

Back