Uh oh frost on the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I have my newly planted plants, one is about 3 feet tall crawling up the twine the other has shoots just popping the surface right now. Temp is supposed to get down in the low 30's here tonight do I need to cover these up, how will they tolerate the cold and what about the wet soil freezing and harm to the roots with that? The temps are back up in the 60's and sunny Tomm and for the weekend so this will just be a one night thing.

Even if you do lose this years growth in a freeze, as soon as it warms back up, new shoots will emerge. I usually loose my first 2 shoots to freeze before one takes in Colorado. Then by end of may they're usually near the top of my 24 foot eves.

We had a little light frost here the last couple of days and it isn't slowing my hops down a bit. Tallest ones are up to 7'. You pretty much can't kill 'em. A few years ago the weed guy came by and hosed 'em down by accident...they were pretty much killed back to the ground on May 5, and they still made it all the way to the top of the trellis anyway. The Liberty and Willamette didn't yield well but the Cascade still gave me more than I could use.

Even when we've had hops killing frost in past years, they still grew right back out of the ground and had no problem making up for lost time. I don't even think about frost anymore.

Latest posts

Back