Ugh, infection....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it's technically an infection or not, but my latest witbier has a cidery taste to it. It's undrinkable. This was my first batch in months, so that means it's been almost 10 months since I brewed a successful beer.

Guys, I need some pick-me-ups. My poor sanitation habits have finally caught up to me.

petep1980 said:
I don't know if it's technically an infection or not, but my latest witbier has a cidery taste to it. It's undrinkable. This was my first batch in months, so that means it's been almost 10 months since I brewed a successful beer.

Guys, I need some pick-me-ups. My poor sanitation habits have finally caught up to me.

We can definitely try and help you out but need more information, recipe, process, fermentation, yeast, temps and actual taste, carbonation process, bottle or keg?, etc......

I only screw up my first batch. After that, I use a mixture of alcohol 70% and hydrogen peroxide (50%:50%) for sanitation with outstanding results.

Nil :mug:

We can definitely try and help you out but need more information, recipe, process, fermentation, yeast, temps and actual taste, carbonation process, bottle or keg?, etc......

It's poor sanitation I know it. I've had this particular problem before. I'm just venting.

If its truly sanitation that concerns you then you should start waging everything with Oxyclean and religiously using Star San properly and come to the understanding that everything you use throughout the entire brewing process needs this attention, including common kitchen utensils and your hands as well.

If you want help diagnosing your current issue then we need more information as previously mentioned. :)

if its poor sanitization you should prob throw out all your plastic equipment that came in contact with the infection

if its poor sanitization you should prob throw out all your plastic equipment that came in contact with the infection

I was going to ask about mash tun. I boil wort after it, so that should be fine correct?

I sniffed it during bottling so I had my worries. I brewed a couple days after that day and the only twice used piece of plastic was the tubing which went from the kettle to the fermenter. I cleaned that thing like crazy.

petep1980 said:
I was going to ask about mash tun. I boil wort after it, so that should be fine correct?

I sniffed it during bottling so I had my worries. I brewed a couple days after that day and the only twice used piece of plastic was the tubing which went from the kettle to the fermenter. I cleaned that thing like crazy.

Yes in the boiling wort. You say you clean the tubing like crazy but are you sanitizing it also??

One the wort has cooled it is very susceptible to infection causing things so chillers, primaries, carboys, buckets, air locks, spoons, hydrometers, hands, basically anything that comes in contact with your wort and then your fermented beer, bottles, caps, tubing, siphons all need to be thoroughly cleaned AND sanitized, no short cuts.

Now, as for your initial "cidery" taste it may not be sanitation. It may be something else having to do with the yeast and fermentation temperatures or an ingredient of the recipe

Now, as for your initial "cidery" taste it may not be sanitation. It may be something else having to do with the yeast and fermentation temperatures or an ingredient of the recipe

I used Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier and I a starter at 70 F and fermented 66 F for a week, then 64 F for a week.

The grain bill was:
5# Wheat Malt
5# Pale Malt
1# Aromatic

I have used this grain bill and yeast together in the past.

What are you doing (or not doing) in terms of sanitation? Frankly, its kind of astonishing that someone with almost 2K posts doesn't know how (or care) to sanitize properly. Its not like its difficult to do.

What are you doing (or not doing) in terms of sanitation? Frankly, its kind of astonishing that someone with almost 2K posts doesn't know how (or care) to sanitize properly. Its not like its difficult to do.

I know it's incredible. I clean everything, but I was never particularly militant about it.

Anyways, I think it's the fermentation issues. I've had this certain taste before and assumed it was an infection.

Back