Types of Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newgene

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew a white IPA, and honestly, I'm not sure which orange peel to use (bitter or sweet). So, I really have two questions:

1.) Which orange peel type do people typically for Belgian wheats, etc.? Is it a mix of the two sometimes?

2.) I found some granulated on Amazon, and its by the pound. I don't mind buying the large package, but I'm wondering if I could even use this stuff. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VNKVPE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also found some insane deals on coriander seed. However, I have no idea what I would do with 3 pounds of coriander. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Bitter orange is more common for Wits. Sweet orange is more orangey. Either can be used. Both can be used.

Farmhouse Brewing is a good place to buy both kinds of orange peel and lemon peel. Good prices too.

Thanks. Since it doesn't really matter, I'll get the Amazon one because it's only 50 cents an ounce shipped. I'm guessing it's a mix of sweet and bitter as they likely just ground the whole peeling.

I just buy a bag of oranges and zest my own. That way i have a snack as well as zest.

Right on...the healthiest I eat is on a brew day! The Valencia orange peel in the grocery store isn't that bad, but any decent LHBS or online will have the bitter or sweet. I prefer my own zest since I use grapefruits, tangerines, etc, along with a wide range of oranges

Back