Types of Oats and Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wavewalker

Reaction score
I'm looking to add some oats to an extract beer for body and mouthfeel. I have whole toasted rolled oats, and I'm wondering if these will work as well as flaked oats. I am not looking for any fermenatables out of them, just body, to make up for some of the thinness I expect from the honey I am using. Do I just use them as I would flaked oats, in the steep, or do I need to cook them first?

I dont think oats gives much body,to me its just slick mouthfeel and improved foam retention.I would depend more on maltodextrin, crystal malts,and just a higher gravity(more extract)can give more body.Flaked wheat or barley may work better.

Well, I was going to use some other grain too, so maybe I'll use some flaked wheat, too. The recipe I'm starting from calls for peated malt, too, and I was thinking of lowering it to 3 oz. since a lot of people seem to think it's a bad ingredient. This is for a heather gruit.

Back