Two yeast pack recipe newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Pivzavod

Reaction score
St. James' Gate Foreign Extra Stout - Extract Kit

OG: 1071 / Ready: 2-12+ months

Our first kit to ever include TWO yeast packs - an ale yeast for alcoholic fermentation, and a culture of Brettanomyces claussenii, the bacteria responsible for the funky, fruity undertones in vatted old ale! Brewed strong and hoppy for export to the far corners of the empire, foreign extra stouts took on a "vatted" character from Brett fermentation during transport and storage. The modern paragon of this style blends a percentage of pasteurized, Brett-fermented wort with S. cerevisiae-fermented wort to add acidic sourness and estery high notes to a more stable product.

This beer is a mighty, midnight-black strong stout in the tradition of Dublin's tropical export ales. Overtones of Turkish coffee and ultra-premium dark chocolate. Malt and residual sweetness spar with roast barley and a hefty charge of IBUs without a clear winner. You, the brewer, choose the ultimate character of this beer - modern or antique? Controlled sourness with mild- to moderate acid and esters; or the old-skool Victorian program with introduction of Brett to the entire batch during a lengthy secondary for a truly wild fermentation? The choice, dear homebrewer, is in your hands.

Kit Inventory

Specialty Grains

* 1 lbs. Roast Barley
* 0.5 lbs. 80 °L Crystal Malt

Fermentables

* 6 lbs. Dark Malt Syrup
* 2 lbs. Dark DME

Boil Additions

* 1 oz. Summit (60 min)

Special Ingredients

* Priming Sugar - 1 lb. (Add at end of boil.)

If you choose dry yeast

* Not recommended.

If you choose liquid yeast

* Wyeast #5151 Brettanomyces claussenii. Optimum temperature: 65-75° F.

* Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 62-72° F.

I am a fairly new home brewer having done around 10 brews since Sept. This brew would take a long time but the idea of having 2 yeast packs one of which is bacteria blows my mind. Do you think creating such a time consuming & potential deadly (jk, bacteria :mad: ) recipe a good idea for a newbie?

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
Brett is not a bacteria it is a different kind of yeast. Quasi wild. It produces some robust but subtle flavors. It works slow and creates a dry beer as it ferment some sugars that other yeast will not use. It adds a bit of a twang and is great for long slow bulk aging in some beer styles. search for wild beers.

It is most certainly not deadly, but it looks and smells wild as it does its thing.

fratermus

Reaction score
Do you think creating such a time consuming & potential deadly (jk, bacteria :mad: ) recipe a good idea for a newbie?
Are you ready to have a set of gear dedicated to buggy fermentables? Many folks will not re-use gear on regular batches after it's had bugs in it, and clearly mark their buggy equipment.

OP
P

Pivzavod

Reaction score
^^^ therefore no bacteria for me ;)

My gear is more important to me then 1 batch of beer.