Two Varieties, same soil, same care

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
So, I planted Cascade and Fuggles 3 years ago.
Same exact soil, same everything and the Fuggles is still not doing well. I mean it does 'OK" but only a handful of buds and cones.

Meanwhile about 30' away: Cascade: Kicked ass after the 2nd season, this the 3rd season and I got tons of nice cones not quite ready yet.

Do I dig up the Fuggles and say F$## it? or what? I'm located in Central NY and figured maybe this variety or strain just ain't gonna cut it around here.

Thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Different plants produce different yields. That's why fuggle was replaced with willamette. I think your fuggle is fine. Willamette will not produce like cascade. It's just the nature of the variety.

Yeah but after 3 years with basically NO yield? Pretty much useless if you ask me. I mean on 6 bines there are maybe 10 cones in total compared to the Cascade's 6 bines of 200 good useable cones. (some larger than others of course).

Hounds,
All hops aren't created equal: http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/ycivarieties.pdf Check out the YIELD averages for the different varieties. I don't know if this data is based on those varieties as grown in the Yakima Valley. but they also grow better in different environments. As a general rule, the Willamette Valley seems to be more suited to growing aroma varieties where the high alpha varieties seem to grow better up in the desert-like conditions of Washington. My experience is the same as yours concerning the differences in production between Fuggle and Cascade. After many many years of many different varieties, the only ones I keep around are Cascade, Chinook, Bullion and a few others. Only time will tell what will grow well in your location so keep at it.

Back