Two-tier Brewing stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I built my 3-tier brewing stand about 3 years ago before I even had most of my brewing rig done. It is simple made of 2x4s and collapses for storage. It worked and my rig and equipment evolved around it's design.

At the time I did not have a garage, which I do now. I also have a full welding facilities attached to where I work. So it is time to build a first class steel rig on wheels. My first instinct was to redo what I have now out of steel with the addition of wheels. But the more I got to thinking about it, the more I was reminded that stirring a mash while standing on a ladder sucks. Also I have a march pump that I did not have back when I started. Carrying 1 gallon of 175 degree water to the top is even worse than mashing from a ladder. So I am thinking of doing a Two-tiered brewing stand instead.

The reasoning behind the two-tiered is it will be more compact than a three-tiered (there are other things competing for space in this two car garage, none of them being a car), also I only have one pump and want to keep it that way for now.

A little about my current rig. It is all electric with a 3500 W element in the HLT and a 4500W element in the Keggle. Both the HLT and MLT were coolers in their former life.

Here is my thoughts on the new rig.

• The Keggle and MLT are side by side on lower tier.
  • There is another tier above where the HLT is mounted.
  • This second tier is a separate unit bolted on top of the first so it can disassembled for transportation.
  • The March Pump is mounted underneath the lower tier recessed so it is out of the way but can stay in one spot.
  • Initially the water is preheated in the keggle then pumped up to the HLT where the element can keep it at temperature.
  • A 1 gallon gant catches the output from the MLT to be pumped to the Keggle.
  • Make it future proof, like for an upgraded MLT

Right now I am just in the scheming phase of this build and honestly have not thought about brewing or equipment for over a year and these plans are just pulled off the top of my head from things I had read on here in the past. I am looking for any input on how to make this design better.

• What sized steel should I use?
  • How high should the first tier be? As I no longer have to drain into a sanke with a pump.
  • Anyone got a picture of their tow-tier to share?

Thanks

untitled-1010205.jpg

Back