Two Simple Questions - Scales and Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
What do you store your grains in? I have a lot of stuff sitting around that needs to get in something airtight til I can use them. I tend to never have more than 2-3 pounds of any given grain on hand since I'm a PM/extract brewer, but I'm not quite sure how much space I need to hold that airtight.

Also, any scale recommendations?

I have a "My Weigh" that was about 100 bucks and weighs up to 2 pounds at .01 accuracy. I only really use it for hops since I'm not buying my grain in bulk yet... If you need something for larger weights, nothing beats a triple beam, and u can usually find them used for cheap...

I just need something to more accurately measure both hops and grains in quarter pound amounts...certain grains seem especially easy to cross the line from perfect amount to overwhelming the flavor.

Well I just bought a scale recently on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-555-x-0-1-Gram-Digital-Mini-Jewelry-Pocket-Scale_W0QQitemZ360058932046QQihZ023QQcategoryZ34088QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are many more just like it. Its top end is around 1 lb (555 grams) so it's not so fun to use for measuring out a whole batch, but it's great for hops, and not too bad for specialty grains. I need to just get a pitcher and mark where 1 lb is on it for base grains.

Edit:

Oh and I store my base grain in two 5 gallon buckets with air tight lids, and the specialty grains stay in their bags, and are in an air tight ammo case.

For hops and specialty grains, I have a postal scale from walmart that weighs up to 3lbs in 0.1oz increments.

For base grains, I have a generic hanging scale I picked up at an animal feed store that works quite well:
brewday4.jpg

As far as storing grains, a sack fits in 2 1/2 5gal plastic buckets I got from tractor supply for a couple bucks apiece. Airtight, cheap, move and stack easily, and I can use them for other brewing applications when they are not holding grain. How can you get any better than that? :D

dude... that is insane.. 96cents for a scale that reads up to 75lbs at .2 oz sensitivity? i am ordering one now...

Lifetime warranty as well. I bought a 50 lb from there, and it works great. They make a little on shipping, but it is still an awesome deal.

Kevin; thanks for the posting on those Digital Postal scales.
Specs for the 50# were 0.2oz sensitivity vs 0.1oz of the 35# scale.
I went for the 35# scale for 96 cents, $15.87 shipping. I'm in the S.F. bay area.
Oh well one less item needed for the long time in the future AG system, heck used the wifes PayPal. As far as real light weight items I have a couple old 1910-1950's beam postal scales plus a couple of them mini weights to calibrate them. Dad started in the Post Office back in 1940, saved them from the trash can. Also have a beam scale that has slots in the platform to weigh gold and silver coins, this is a very old scale that's real clean and in working condition, not for sale.

What is the lowest that these digital postal scales can measure? I've been eying a couple on ebay to use for both hops/speciality grain/base malt, but I'm unsure if they can accurately measure, say, 1/4 oz.

Can't beat the price on these scales for weighing grain. Not good for hops and stuff, but it beats weighing a pound at a time. eBay Store - Just Pounds and Ounces: Digital Postal Scale, Scales, Shipping

I picked up one a short time ago as well. Works like a scale should, but won't do the light stuff and I only use it for grain. The manual says the sensitivity is in 0.2 oz increments, but I wouldn't rely on it to weigh out quarter or half ounces. I've got a digital kitchen scale to measure hops, water additions, etc. that I've had for years from Williams-Sonoma or somewhere. For a grain scale, you can't beat the Pounts-and-ounces folks but you need a separate hop scale. Unless you throw hops in by the pound...

Gordie

I don't buy my base grains in bulk. I like the flexibility of being able to get fresh grain in the quantity I need and be able to switch back and forth between pale or pilsner. Or Vienna as I used last weekend.

As far as storing my specialty malts, I just use old glass milk bottles. They look cool, they're inert like a carboy, they seal up nice with a rubber stopper, and it's handy for storing if you have a milk crate (hey!).

i to bought a postal scale from pounds and ounces, use a pet food storage container for the bulk storage,they'll hold a full sack no prob. use glad food boxes for the small bags, the smallest soup size ones will hold like 2# of grains.

Bumping an old thread here... Didnt want to create a new thread. Anyone that has the scale from Pounds & Ounces I bought one and used it once and tried to use it today and it wont work. I am outside the 30 day return and such. Hoping someone can help with the issue I am having. When I turn it on I get the count down from 9 to 0 then the display now shows what looks like a CD icon on the left side of the LCD manual says its stable indicator. I also have a 0 with 2 arrows pointing to it and the manual says its Zero indicator. Now I have tried to weigh things and get nothing. Removed batteries and nothing.

Any ideas??

I have reached out to Pounds & Ounces in hopes of being able to swap it out or hoping to figure out what is wrong.

Thanks in Advance.

Back