Two Quick Lager Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
I'm about to keg my first lager. Long story short, life got in the way of my process and this finished fermenting a while ago. It's been sitting in a root cellar in the low to mid 50s for about a month.

Question 1: Any issue with not going straight from fermenting to lagering? Like I said, it finished a good month ago...maybe six weeks.

Question 2: I'm putting this in my kegerator. Can I apply a little pressure throughout lagering so that it is more or less ready to drink when I am ready to tap the keg (plan is to lager, then cellar it until the fall)?

Thanks

Question 1: Any issue with not going straight from fermenting to lagering? Like I said, it finished a good month ago...maybe six weeks.

It should be fine. I'd cold crash it to the mid-30s' for a few days to help clear it up before racking to a keg.
Question 2: I'm putting this in my kegerator. Can I apply a little pressure throughout lagering so that it is more or less ready to drink when I am ready to tap the keg (plan is to lager, then cellar it until the fall)?

Thanks

Sure. Purge it well and let it sit in the kegerator on 10-12psi for as long as you like. It will lager just fine on the gas. I have a Maibock that's been lagering for a while now, but not yet finished. I put it on gas this past weekend so that it's ready whenever a space opens up in my keezer.

Fantastic. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really think the pressure would be an issue, but I wanted to make sure.

And I did purge the headspace. Thanks for the reminder.

Back