two questions about berliner weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
i tried finding the answer, and have noticed that alot of recipes use no-boil at all except for the hops themselves or only a 15 minute boil?

is a 15 minute boil of the wort enough to kill any bad germs (botulism? or??) or.. will that 15 minute boil destroy the lactobacillus?

will brewing with lactobacillus in a particular carboy make it stuck with sourness forever?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/question-about-wyeast-4335-5335-lactobacillus-138884/ almost answers that question but i cant find out for sure?

Botulism (along with any other pathogenic organism) isn't an issue with beer because the pH and alcohol kill will it, so no worries there. Lacto will be killed by a 15 min boil. I've had good luck with a hopped mash, decoction, and just heating the beer up to ~210 before chilling/pitching a slurry of lacto and Sacch. Just make sure you keep the IBUs really low.

I use carboys for sours and clean beers and have only had an issue one or two times. A long soak in hot water and Oxyclean/TSP/PBW etc... followed by a long soak with Star-San for the carboy seems to keep my clean beers clean. I have two sets of post cooling equipment otherwise though (tubing, siphon, bottling wands etc...).

thanks! hmm, the boil killing the initial lacto spores was my concern as i have no access to any commercial lacto products :(, also im prety low on equipment.

i wanted to see if i could make a easy berliner weiss from some sludge, but i'll probably have to put that off for now i guess

I might be getting my bacterias confused, but isn't there a lot of lacto on the grain itself? It seems like you could keep a little grain and not mash/boil it, then add that grain to the wort.

I might be getting my bacterias confused, but isn't there a lot of lacto on the grain itself? It seems like you could keep a little grain and not mash/boil it, then add that grain to the wort.

yeah, i thought i heard thats what some people do too. so do a boil, then wait for it to cool to about 150, add some grain let it sit for a bit and siphon it?

also im doing a lacto fermentation on kimchi right now too heh. cant wait for that to finish

Back