Two Pitches of Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperpots

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first all grain run using a Candi Syrup clone recipe, and it has some funny wording in the instructions. The recipe isn't much, so I am just going off of previous batches to understand what it is getting at. Can someone tell me if this wording means that I should pitch a second starter between the primary and secondary? Or does it simply mean to try and lose the primary yeast when I siphon to the secondary (ie.leave allot of yeast with the trub, which I thought was kind of the point in secondary fermenting)

" Pitch yeast. Pure O2 via 0.5 micron diffusion for 30 seconds. Ramp primary up to 76F over 6 days. At 1.010 dump primary yeast. "

If you were using a conical you would dump the yeast out of the bottom.

Meaning you dont move the beer off the yeast you remove the yeast from the beer.

You will find most people here try to avoid using a secondary.

My translation...
"Oxygenate with a 0.5 micron diffusion stone for 30 seconds, pitch yeast. Allow fermentation to ramp up to 76 degrees gradually over a 6 day period. When fermentation is complete at 1.010..."
I think this brewer brewer may use a conical and has the ability to "dump" or drain the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter. I would rack to a keg or bottling bucket after 2-3 weeks depending on the beer.

If you were using a conical you would dump the yeast out of the bottom.

Meaning you dont move the beer off the yeast you remove the yeast from the beer.

You will find most people here try to avoid using a secondary.

Why do most people here avoid it? I am just curious. I have done a secondary since my very first batch, though I may have just been conned by the brew store guy to buy a second carboy

Its a sensitive topic so be careful...
The main objection is that a secondary doesn't help with clarity and leaving beer on the yeast cake for a month or 2 is not a risk. By racking to secondary you introduce some small amount of oxygen and there is potential for infection. That's pretty much the argument.
That said I usually use a secondary since I brew lagers and like to ferment in plastic and lager in glass. Racking to secondary let's me free up the primary. But I don't believe I makes much difference to clarity or flavour.

Its a sensitive topic so be careful...
The main objection is that a secondary doesn't help with clarity and leaving beer on the yeast cake for a month or 2 is not a risk. By racking to secondary you introduce some small amount of oxygen and there is potential for infection. That's pretty much the argument.
That said I usually use a secondary since I brew lagers and like to ferment in plastic and lager in glass. Racking to secondary let's me free up the primary. But I don't believe I makes much difference to clarity or flavour.

+1.

I used to primary in buckets/secondary in glass as well, then had a beer sit in a primary bucket for 6 weeks due to circumstances...that beer was an english ale and turned out fantastic. No more secondary for me unless there's fruit or something to add at "x" weeks...

Cheers
Vam

Why do most people here avoid it? I am just curious. I have done a secondary since my very first batch, though I may have just been conned by the brew store guy to buy a second carboy
they avoid it because they want to
there are just as many who do secondaries, we just are not vocal about it.

If they do not want to do a secondary, then let them not

I do a secondary, my opinion is change my sheets so I do not have to lie around on a bunch of junk, why not change my beer after the yeast has dropped out so it does not have to sit on the junk.

It is up to you, they will claim it does not matter, we will claim it does, I just do not argue with them, it gets me nowhere.

You make your decision, I do not brew beer to have bad beer, I brew to have the best beer I can. Take it from there, a lot of guys are going bag on this post.

Personally, I don't secondary. Why bother disturbing your beer from it's nice safe home on the yeast cake. Just kind of an extra unnecessary step for me and I'm kind of a lazy brewer;). Auto. is the usual reason given for racking to a secondary....however in my humble experience (even though it does happen eventually) this is generally not a problem for most brewers. However, if your equipment will allow a transfer without exposure to naturally air, yeast, bacteria (such as in a keg to keg transfer using co2) then it probably wont hurt your beer. So if you feel like it...go ahead and do it:mug: Just about the only time I'll transfer to another keg in when I'm doing a Marzen, or any other lager requiring a really long soak.....and then only after the first couple of months. To each his/her own though.

Back