Two Parter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
I have two questions, might as well put it in one thread, even though they are completely un-related

1. When using dry yeast, how many of you rehydrate? My first batch of Apfelwein was the first time I rehydrated dry yeast and it is bubbling like a champ so I'm thinking it's a great thing.

2. How often do you guys and gals replace your auto siphon hose?

1: Most of us rehydrate. My first few batches using dry yeast, I didn't rehydrate, but I did so knowing that I really should have. If you go back and read EdWort's original post about Apfelwein, you'll see that he doesn't rehydrate it. If I'm making ale or lager, I rehydrate. If I'm making Apfelwein, I don't.

2: With proper care and maintenance, very rarely. If you're careful to clean immediately after brewing or bottling, that hose should last you a good long time. I've only had to retire one hose so far, and that was because I was too lazy (or llazy) to clean it right after brewing three back-to-back-to-back batches in one day.

1: Most of us rehydrate. My first few batches using dry yeast, I didn't rehydrate, but I did so knowing that I really should have. If you go back and read EdWort's original post about Apfelwein, you'll see that he doesn't rehydrate it. If I'm making ale or lager, I rehydrate. If I'm making Apfelwein, I don't.

2: With proper care and maintenance, very rarely. If you're careful to clean immediately after brewing or bottling, that hose should last you a good long time. I've only had to retire one hose so far, and that was because I was too lazy (or llazy) to clean it right after brewing three back-to-back-to-back batches in one day.

So I did when I shouldn't have, hahaha story of my life. I'll let you know how it turns out

It sees like no matter how long i soak or rise the tube, it still has a beer smell to it. To be honest it's really cheap at lowes, like 21 cents a foot, I just dont want to screw up a batch because I was too cheap to get a new hose :fro:

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't rehydrate dry yeast with apfelwein, just that it isn't really necessary. In the long run, I don't think you'll notice the difference. I've done it both ways, and I've never noticed it. I only stopped rehydrating with apfelwein because Ed doesn't (or didn't in his original recipe) and because it's more work for the same results.

For the hose, I'm not sure what material you're using, but my tubing is vinyl from a homebrew store. If you can still smell it, there's likely something left behind. Try an overnight soak in water and oxiclean free or PBW to clean it out. Make sure the entire hose is full of liquid. The first time I tried, the outside of the tubing was spotless, but the inside was nasty still. I learned quick that you have to be sure to fill it with cleaner, because it has a tendency to stay filled with air.

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't rehydrate dry yeast with apfelwein, just that it isn't really necessary. In the long run, I don't think you'll notice the difference. I've done it both ways, and I've never noticed it. I only stopped rehydrating with apfelwein because Ed doesn't (or didn't in his original recipe) and because it's more work for the same results.

For the hose, I'm not sure what material you're using, but my tubing is vinyl from a homebrew store. If you can still smell it, there's likely something left behind. Try an overnight soak in water and oxiclean free or PBW to clean it out. Make sure the entire hose is full of liquid. The first time I tried, the outside of the tubing was spotless, but the inside was nasty still. I learned quick that you have to be sure to fill it with cleaner, because it has a tendency to stay filled with air.

oxiclean, i'll have to give that a try. I feel like my hose now is beyond salvageable (except in a pinch) so I'll start new with the soaking regiment. thanks for the advise, yo :mug:

Back