Two lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
1) I'm planning my first lager brew, and I've read that getting rid of the hot break is important. On my current set-up of a 7.5 gallon SS pot on a gas stove, I get a light boil, so I don't really get much of a hot break. I was thinking about doing a boil with the lid on until I get the hot break, and then starting my 60 minute boil time. Does that sound reasonable?

2) I read on the wiki that some people bottle after primary fermentation and then lager in the bottles, which sounds much more convenient. Has anybody tried this? Recommendations?

1) You shouldn't boil with the lid on. In this case you will end up with a boil over. I would rather have a weak hot break than a giant mess on my stove. Just do the best you can.

2) Yes you can do it that way. Make sure to give the beer a couple of weeks at room temp to carb before lagering. I bulk age mine. I think that's the easiest way but it depends on your setup and space issues.

Is there enough yeast left is suspension to bottle-carb if you lager in a carboy for a few weeks?

Yes. It may be clear, but there will be sufficient yeast for bottle conditioning. I have even heard if you clear it with Gelatin, you can add a small amount of yeast at bottling time.

Back