Two+ kegs, one regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC10Chief

Reaction score
I want to build a kegerator out of an upright fridge. Nothing too fancy. It will be in my garage. Anyways, I have three pin lock kegs. All of the kits I see online only have one regulator. Can I pressurize all three kegs with one regulator? How would I keep different pressures on the different kegs? Would I need a regulator for each keg? It's my understanding from reading the forum, that I will carbonate the beer with something like 35 psi, and then dial it down to 5 to 10 psi for dispensing. Is this correct? Thanks for any advice.

Yes, you can pressurize all three kegs with one regulator, but the kegs will all be at the same pressure. To do this, use a three-way manifold. There are many styles. There are several examples on this page at Keg Connection. I have three of these brass three way distributors.

If you want to maintain different pressures on each keg, you'll need a bank of secondary regulators like these at Micro Matic.

Most homebrewing equipment suppliers stock manifolds, splitters, secondary gauges, etc.

See the stickied Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated in this forum for carbing advice. Short answer, yes, you can speed the process by putting the kegs on 30 or so PSI for a day, then back it down to your serving pressure and wait until it is fully carbed, somewhere around 3 weeks, but you may find it acceptably carbed in a week.

Thanks! That's great info. Do most of you use about 10 to 12 psi to dispense the beer from your kegs? Too much pressure makes the beer foam up when it comes out of the tap, right? Is there a thread or a website out there that explains kegging for dummies? Thanks!

I'm doing the same as what you're asking - I have 3 kegs in my upright fridge with 1 regulator. I just split it with a cross and some line and clamps - didn't cost much at all.

Typically I'll start a keg HIGH - like 30psi. I'll fill it to that and let it sit about 2 weeks. A lot of the time I wont even have it hooked up to the line, and sometimes not even in the fridge. Then, after 2 weeks or more I'll put it back in the fridge and attach it. I keep most of my beers in the 10-15psi range. That's really the only "gotcha". With only one regulator you can't really have separate pressures per beer. Right now I have a Patiersbier, an Oktoberfest, and a Rauchbier kegged and on tap, all around 12psi and its working out just fine.

Thanks! That's great info. Do most of you use about 10 to 12 psi to dispense the beer from your kegs? Too much pressure makes the beer foam up when it comes out of the tap, right? Is there a thread or a website out there that explains kegging for dummies? Thanks!

Yes beer foams if it is dispensed at to high psi, but you need to maintain a psi to maintain carbonation.

So ideally, you balance your draft system to allow for this. So say 12psi gives you the right CO2 levels at the temperature you keep the beer at. That might require 8 feet of tap line to balance the system. Or you could turn it down to 5psi and bleed the excess pressure (waste CO2) every time you want a beer, then turn it back to 12psi so it doesn't go flat on you.

Also, there's more than one method to balance the system out. You don't have to have long tap lines if you add resistance inside the lines somehow.

all you need to do is build yourself a distribution block. I built my 8 keg one out of 1/4" brass Ts and fittings from Home Depot for my keezer

DSCN2770.jpg

Did something similar for my 4 tap jockey box too. this is my portable set up on a small CO2 tank

DSCN0786.jpg

greenyj, hows that homemade distributer holding up? Would you be able to provide a list of cat #'s? I wouldn't mind trying to build one of those myself.

I have a single regulator, but I often wish I had multiple pressures available. You should really consider multiple regulators for multiple kegs. One works just fine, if you're budget-conscious, but if you're flexible in the money department, get at least a dual-regulator.

greenyj, hows that homemade distributer holding up? Would you be able to provide a list of cat #'s? I wouldn't mind trying to build one of those myself.

its held up just fine since I built it back in 05. no leaks, no problems. Unfortunately I do not have a parts list. its all 1/4" NPT fittings though. so threaded couplers, T fittings, hose barb the size of the feed hose off the CO2 tank. shut of valve for each keg line and a barb the right size for the line to each keg. Oh and lots off teflon tape

Back