Two in the Fermenter, one spot on, one low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
1. I did a 7.5 Gallon boil roughly and steeped the grains for 1/2 hour at 170 degrees. The OG when my chiller got it to 80 degrees was 1.050 which was spot on the recipe from morebeer.com.

No problems there.

2. Repeated the same procedure only this time had a smaller fermenter to drop it in. The OG was 1.041 and the recipe called for 1.050ish.

This was an almost 7.5 gallon boil, grains steeped 1/2 hour at 170 degrees. I had some above the spigot that wouldnt fit in the fermenter so not really a big deal. However the OG is a fair bit lower than it's estimated OG on the recipe.

Any guesses as to what I might have done wrong? I noticed a little bit of extract in the bag after I tossed everything today but not enough that I would think made a difference.

It's in the fermenter, both of them and bubbleing away so I'm not worried, it will be drinkable. Just curious as to what I've done wrong.

3. Is steeping at 1/2hour in 170 degree water considered a partial mash? or just an extended steep? LOL I'm not sure what differentiates steep/mash.

thanks
jake

The OG shouldn't vary in an extract beer. The sugars are in the wort. Maybe the second one wasn't as thoroughly mixed and the "heavier" wort sunk a bit to the bottom, giving you a lighter reading.

If you steeped grains at 170 degrees (at the top limit of temperature- I like the low 150s), you did an extract batch with steeping grains. The grains will give you some color and flavor but no fermentables. Just like making tea- you'll have color and flavor.

A partial mash takes grains that need to have their starches converted to sugars (like pale malt, Munich malt, etc) and places them in a prescribed amount of water at a prescribed temperature for a prescribed time. This "mashing" is what converts the starches to sugars. Those malts have "diastatic power", to convert those starches.

Other malts like crystal malt, or highly kilned malts, already have been converted and don't have the same properties as base malts. They will give you color and flavor, though, and can be steeped.

I think I know what I did wrong.

I ended up with almost 7 gallons of brew after cooking it and it's supppose to drop down to about 5 gallons. Hence it's watered down a little.

I started taking my sample OG right from the kettle once it's down to roughly 80 degrees.

I cleaned the airlock twice last night on the second batch that had a low OG. Wonder what it's going to taste like? (It's now just a lighter "light beer" for my sissy friends to enjoy).

If you steeped grains at 170 degrees (at the top limit of temperature- I like the low 150s), you did an extract batch with steeping grains. The grains will give you some color and flavor but no fermentables. Just like making tea- you'll have color and flavor.

A partial mash takes grains that need to have their starches converted to sugars (like pale malt, Munich malt, etc) and places them in a prescribed amount of water at a prescribed temperature for a prescribed time. This "mashing" is what converts the starches to sugars. Those malts have "diastatic power", to convert those starches.

Other malts like crystal malt, or highly kilned malts, already have been converted and don't have the same properties as base malts. They will give you color and flavor, though, and can be steeped.

Wow. That is the best I have heard for an explanation on that. Thanks. That is something that has puzzled me for quite some time.

Back