Two identical kits, young's American ipa 6.5% completely different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theviking

Reaction score
I brewed two kits within a week's space, identical kits and in the same location. The result is one Ruby and one pale ipa... Confused.

IMAG0934.jpg

Do these kits use liquid malt extract? If so, I would guess the one of the left was old or got oxidized.

Do these kits use liquid malt extract? If so, I would guess the one of the left was old or got oxidized.
Yes, it's a kit with liquid malt extract. Best before June 2020, so oxidised.

Drink it whilst it taste OK?

Was the brown one, brown from the start? Meaning, did it had the same colour in the fermenter or was it a slow, long process, across a few weeks?

Sudden agressive browning can be noticed with NEIPAs. Is your kit a NEIPA? If not, then the colour could be a direct result of ingredients used ( maybe mislabeled ) or / and process.

Was the brown one, brown from the start? Meaning, did it had the same colour in the fermenter or was it a slow, long process, across a few weeks?

Sudden agressive browning can be noticed with NEIPAs. Is your kit a NEIPA? If not, then the colour could be a direct result of ingredients used ( maybe mislabeled ) or / and process.

It looked darker from the start, I have tasted one and the flavour is different, but nice and they do offer a Ruby version. Maybe mislabelled...
IMAG0957.jpg

From the looks of it, it could be the kit contained maybe an amber extract or something? It very pink/light red... But if it's tasty, that's OK. I guess in the end, as long as the beer does not taste worse...

Back