Two Hearted Rapid Ferment - Day 8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Two Hearted Clone using yeast harvested from the real thing last Saturday. The fermentation took off right away and I had a blowoff in the morning. A week later it's still churning away in the primary. Usually it's done in several days.

My OG was 1064 (my efficiency was spot on but I didn't boil long enough and by the time I realized it I had started the hops schedule) and I've brewed bigger beers before. Is there something about that yeast?

Started at about 68 degrees and seems to have dropped to 66/67 range. I have zoned heating in the area it's in so let me know if I should bump up the ambient temp a notch or two.

:off:
Slightly off topic, but I am wondering about your clone recipe. I frequently brew a 2-hearted clone, but my estimated OG is 1.060 and you are mentioning you were low at 1.064.

Would you mind either posting your recipe or at least PM it to me?

thanks

How much did you pitch? If you underpitched it might take a little longer to finish out. Mine usually starts cleaning up after itself after a week tops.

I pitched a litre, stepped up from about 2-300 ml when I harvested from two bottles. Based on the blowoff I assume I pitched OK but maybe not. I oxygenated for 30 seconds or so before the pitch.

Recipe is from escatz here...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/

His recipe stated 1064 (same as mine), but I bumped up the base grains in Beersmith until it told me I'd hit 7% ABV, and that gave me a target OG of 1070. Not sure who is right, but I personally shot for 1070.

Yeah, but I finished low at 1.010. If you finish at something like 1.015 you'll be at around 6.4ish on the ABV. The original yeast was Notty for this so it was a big attenuator. Your yeast might not finish that low. Who knows. That's one thing with the beer that I need to figure out is the FG. It'll pretty much fix everything I think because I believe the ingredients are pretty much right.

Yeah, but I finished low at 1.010. If you finish at something like 1.015 you'll be at around 6.4ish on the ABV. The original yeast was Notty for this so it was a big attenuator. Your yeast might not finish that low. Who knows. That's one thing with the beer that I need to figure out is the FG. It'll pretty much fix everything I think because I believe the ingredients are pretty much right.

Your Ingredients are exact, I have seen some clones with Munich 9L and it isn't right. Two Hearted is 7.5% ABV so I think you getting down to 1.010 would be closer to actual.

Wait a minute.....I swear it used to be 7.5% I wonder if they scaled down to save money or something. Because Michigan brew company's IPA is 7.5% and Henry Hill and I were comparing them one night. I know Im not losing my mind......Or Am I???:eek:

Well Sunday night, a full eight days after pitching the yeast, the fermentation calmed down to where there is just bubbles. Most of the day Saturday you could see little explosions in the trub and geysers shooting up through the beer in random fashion. Never recall seeing that before. We'll give it a taste next weekend when it goes into the secondary for dry hopping.

Back