Two fermentation temperature choices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
In the kitchen it is 77 +/- 5 and in the basement it is a steady 62. I am going to pitch a packet of Safeale 05 into todays brew . I guess the wort will live in the basement for a couple of week. Make sense?

Mike

No question. The kitchen is way too hot. The basement temp is perfect for that yeast.

The basement temp def sounds great for the US-05. What're you brewing? My wife used it at 70F for a Belgian white ale clone. It smells & tastes great,even though it's still green! I'd like to hear how yours comes out at that temp.

In the kitchen it is 77 +/- 5 and in the basement it is a steady 62. I am going to pitch a packet of Safeale 05 into todays brew . I guess the wort will live in the basement for a couple of week. Make sense?

Mike

I agree with the other post's, your kitchen is just to hot. Recommended fermentation temps for Safale US-05 is between 59-75 degreess....so with your ambient temp in the basement at 62, you should expect the internal temp of your wort to be around 67 in most vessels...so that's a perfect environment for fermenting all Ales!

This is about the 5th batch I have brewed this year. All were previously fermented in the kitchen around 68 F. But now CT has some warm weather and we do not keep a steady temp in the house. AC is on and off - too cheap I guess. So his batch has to go into the basement. I really like the kitchen cause I don't want to carry primary fermenter down the stairs. But this is the price we pay for good beer. Cheers - Mike

MikeinCT said:
This is about the 5th batch I have brewed this year. All were previously fermented in the kitchen around 68 F. But now CT has some warm weather and we do not keep a steady temp in the house. AC is on and off - too cheap I guess. So his batch has to go into the basement. I really like the kitchen cause I don't want to carry primary fermenter down the stairs. But this is the price we pay for good beer. Cheers - Mike

I went through *exactly* the same thought process a few weeks back. You get used to carrying the fermenter around pretty quick :)

I went through *exactly* the same thought process a few weeks back. You get used to carrying the fermenter around pretty quick :)

Don't carry the fermenter around quickly! LOL Too much at risk.

Definitely go with the basement temps. In my world, lower is better. Your world may be different.

Back