Two C's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AAUs and IBUs? OG and FG?
Got some excellent help over on the AHA forum. Decided on a 1.052 OG, 42+ IBU Pale Ale. Calypso is 15%AA whole leaf and the Citra is 13.7%AA pellets. 13-1/2 gallons pre-boil. 90% Maris Otter.

Hop schedule is looking like this:
1oz Citra and 3oz Calypso @ 15min
1oz Citra and 3oz Calypso @ FO
whirlpool for 15 min then chill to 170dgrs
1oz Citra and 3oz Calypso
whirlpool for another 30 min
chill to pitch temp

I'll decide on dry hopping after I get a taste of where this schedule gets me.

Brewing later today or tomorrow.

:off:

Granddaughters stay with us from Tuesday thru Christmas morning. It was a lot of fun, but I'm always amazed at how quite the house gets when they leave. A peaceful day of brewing is just what I need.

Hope your Christmas was great also!

I haven't had a calypso/citra beer before. I assume it's got a lot of tropical fruit notes? Is this modeled after a commercial beer, or something that you've been thinking about.

I love the idea of MO as the base. Are you still using wheat malt in your pale ales and IPAs for head retention?

Christmas is just ok for me- I'm not a big fan. But it's over now, and I"m thankful.

I haven't had a calypso/citra beer before. I assume it's got a lot of tropical fruit notes?

It'll be a first for me too. Picked up the Calypso ealier in the year when Hops Direct was having a sale and I wanted to bulk up the order to keep the shipping per pound price down. Came up with the hop combination from reading different descriptions of Calypso and thinking that the Citra would go well. Sean, over on the AHA forum pointed me in what I'm hopping is a better direction for the ratios from a beer he does. I'm still sometimes doing the wheat additions, but not for this beer. Went with 5% Golden Naked Oats and another 5% other crystals. Way more caramel malts than I usually use, but I'm hoping it'll work here.

edit to say:
Brewed this on Saturday. Hop aroma from the kettle was minty and fresh with a bit of fruit. Not sure if any of that will make it to the glass, but it has me anxious for this to finish after only a couple of days. :D

Back