Two Brothers Cane and Ebel recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolomieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this on my local club forum too. Just curious if there is anything major i may have over looked. I know there are other interpretation of this beer out there but the IBU's usually seem off. One listed in the beersmith cloud was over 100 IBU's.

So if you are a fan of Cane & Ebel and search for leads to a clone you will
probably find the same post i have been. This post is in several forums and
looks a bit like this:

Pils Munich 3%
Crystal 10 8%
Rye 12%
Crystal Rye 3%
Melinoidan (Aromatic will work) 3%
Black Malt less than 1% for color

First wort hop with Summit and Columbus 40 IBU
30 minutes left with Summit 12 IBU
25 minutes left with Columbus 8.5 IBU
20 minutes left with Simcoe 7 IBU
Dryhop with Simcoe about .3 oz/gallon

Thai Palm Sugar added before start of boil. (.15 lbs / gallon)

Mash mid 150's
Boil 75 minutes
target starting gravity 1.072

So This is what I came up with for my 10gal batch i want to brew before leaving
town:

Ingredients
16 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)64.7 %
3 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.8 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 7.8 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 2.9 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 2.9 %
12.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 2.9 %
4.0 oz Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) 1.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz (Jagger) Thai Palm sugar (10.0 SRM) 5.9 %

@ 75min 1.00 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min 20.7 IBUs
@ 75min 1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min 25.2 IBUs
@ 30min 0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 10.2 IBUs
@ 25min 0.50 oz Columbus [14.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min 7.6 IBUs
@ 20min 0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 5.6 IBUs
@ Dry 3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 %
Bitterness: 69.2 IBUs
Est Color: 12.5 SRM

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments? I'm not a huge fan of clones but i do
really like this beer and I like to do a clone when i'm treading into new
territory. I have not used rye before, so i'm using this as an introduction to
that. The amounts and types of rye are what i'm most concerned with. I will most
likely use rice hulls in this mash because of the flaked malt.

I have only done two rye ales. but, my question is why use more flaked rye then standard rye malt? Rice hulls are a good idea also.

It's funny you should ask, as that has been the most vexing part for me. I guess i thought what they meant by Rye was flaked and by crystal rye as rye malt. Think i got it wrong?

That being said when looking around it seems what your are getting at is what most people do. Less flaked and more rye malt.

I may have to change that.

I dont know the answer, but maybe the flaked rye will add more body, maybe better clarity hmm ill try to do some research tonight.

The only thing that I find is that if you swap the flaked with the malted rye you might produce a touch more rye flavor. Other than that if you already have the ingredients I would just stick with what you got.

Thats what i have been reading too. I don't have the ingredients yet so i am going to make that change. I'll edit the op eventually.

Thanks Chuck

Email them. Jason Ebel (1 of the two brothers) usually gives out the recipes for their beers. He gave me the exact recipe for Hop Juice that I will be brewing soon.

I've made this exact clone before and I used crystal rye, no other rye. I couldn't find Thai palm sugar, so I used coconut palm sugar. Everything else in the recipe looks good though I think you'll enjoy it

Thanks guys,
The percent setup above is from two brothers. I have learned that there is such a thing as crystal rye. When I visited my brewing Yoda, he enlightened me. So i won't be using flaked rye. 3% crystal and 12% rye malt is what i plan on using. I'm also going to to use 2 lbs of palm sugar since i have it. The Asian market here in town are the best place for that.

I still may email them this morning and see if i get a response before running to pick up everything else after work.

Back