Two BJCP Beers From One Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Many of us have limited time to brew, but enjoy trying to make many different styles of beer, both for enjoyment and competition.

What split-batch variations on the same wort can you think up that can result in two or more BJCP style beers, simply by varying yeasts, process, or adding post boil ingredients?

Go...

Obvious solution is to partigyle. You can add additional grains to really switch it up, or changing the hopping and yeast alone can switch it up too. But even with similar hopping schedules, the same yeast, and the same grain bed you can very easily take beers of two different strengths, IIPA and APA, Barleywine and Bitter, Strong Scotch Ale and Scottish Export, RIS and pretty much any other style of stout, and so on and so forth.

Nice. I think it would be fun to see a long list of things people can think up.

Here's one:

Kolsch and Helles by simply split-batching the the yeast.

Lots of ways to split batches like this. Varying yeast is one significant option. Partigyle is another. Splitting the boil offers lots of options as you can vary hops, boil adjuncts, length of boil, and even fermentables if you add sugar or extract. Splitting the batch post-boil and adding different ingredients can make for significantly different beers as well - if you split it while it's still hot you can also use whirlpool hops for variation, though it may be harder to chill all of the wort that way depending on how you chill.

My only experience splitting a batch was when I tried four different hops combinations by splitting a four-gallon IIPA onto four different whirlpool (and then dry hop) combos at a gallon each, so I stayed within the same type but had four significantly different beers in the end.

I think it would be possible to make a Belgian style beer with a Belgian ipa style, like a blond ale with a hoped blonde. Or a triple with a Belgian ipa... If you drain a part from your kettle with only a 60 mins hop addition and then you put can di sugar in your fermenter for that part and for the other part you just throw loads of American hops at whirlpool and don't add sugars then ferment with a Belgian strain or the hoped version could have an American yeast. Could be great!!

I just gyled 5g Belgian ipa off a 10g Double Jack clone.
hope to start kegging tomorrow

Back