two beers one batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a regular and session beer from one batch BUT how would I go about figuring the ABV of the second batch?

I'm thinking of going with ~8lbs of 2-row, 1lb crystal 60 for the first batch and then add 1lb munich for the second batch. I'd like the second batch to be more than 2.5% ABV but no more than 4%. Any ideas?

And I thought this was going to be one of those reaction videos like "two girls, one cup".

... sorry for the diversion, carry on.

I am a little lost. are you doing 2 - 5 gallon batches or trying to split a 5 gallon batch into 2 - 2.5 gallon batches?

If it were me I would make up a batch, split it, then add top off water until you hit the OG you want for the second batch.

When playing with ABV and grav numbers I use this site: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

Hope that helps...

I made a simple wit, 6lbs 2row 6lbs wheat with OG of 1.065 and the did a parti-gyle batch from the second runnings, with a OG of 1.030. A little less than half, ended up putting .75lbs of cane sugar in it to bump the OG and dry it out, it came out great. You are using different grains but I'm willing to bet the OG will be about half of the first batch (not counting the extra 1lb of munich), as was the case for me.

adding to what i posted, assuming you making 5 gallon batches, your OG for batch one will be 1.046 with 70% efficiency ABV of 4.52%, so your second batch assuming you'll get 50% less conversion from second runnings plus your 1lb munich would have an OG of 1.028 and ABV of 2.75% (calculated both batches with 75% yeast attenuation)

Thanks that is what I was looking for, wanted to do 2 5 gal batches, the wife wants a session beer.

You might find my partigyle thread helpful, it is sort of a real time snapshot of me going from not knowing how to do one to being able to make beersmith do headstands and do it for me. I think it's one of the clearest, least hardcore technical threads about it.

Let's Partyyyy(gyle) that is!!!! Pumpkin Porter AND Ale from one mash!?!
Great read. I've been meaning to do a partigyle for a while now. However, I think I'm going to have to quote this next time you tell new brewers not to try their beer too soon ;)
WOW....

I just cracked one of each of the the partigyles...first I did the second runnings, then I just cracked the heavier, darker, first runnings....

and WOW....

First off they aren't carbed fully yet but they're coming around...
Sadly, the whole experiment should probably wait until I build the fermentation chamber. Fermentation bedroom held a perfect 58-62 all fall/winter/spring...now it's at 68-70, and creeping up.

I think I'll do a Barleywine with a second runnings brew. If I can I'll try to stretch it to a 3rd batch by adding 1Lb of munich/crystal.

I use Papazian's Zapap, I'll have to buy a new cooler to mash in cause a 5G bucket is waaay too small.

Sorry but........ one batch enters two beers leave. One batch enters two beers leave. One batch enters two beers leave.
That is all

Back