Two Beers from One Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feurhund

Reaction score
I know this topic has come up in different ways, but I wanted to check my thinking.

I want to brew 12 gallons of weizen from mash through boil. After the 90min boil I will run off 6 gallons to a fermentor for a standard weizen. I then want to add a half gallon of cold steeped carafa 3 and a little chocolate malt to the boil kettle and boil an extra 15 minutes and then run this to a second fermenter to in effect create a Dunkelweisse and Weiss with little extra work. Any thoughts or concerns or experience to share? Thanks.

This is a quasi parti-gyle brew, where you would use the first runnings for one beer, and then sparge and use the second runnings for a session style beer. Your way is easier and you should not have any problems because you are just draining half of the wort off. It would be the same as if you just went into 2 fermentors and dryhopped with 2 different hops. I think you are good to go. Any reason for the cold steep? or even the separate steep at all and not just steep in the BK?

Are those extra 15 minutes gonna mess up your hopping schedule at all? You could always just give the carafa tea its own little boil on the stove and not mess around with boiling the kettle between running off the weizen and the dunkel.

Great ideas.

I went straight to all grain, so ironically I am not familiar with what you can steep, not steep etc. I think I will cold steep overnight the carafa and chocolate malts and then give them a short boil just to sanitize. Then just brew all 12 gallons, run into two fermentors and add the dunkel "extract" to one. that way it should contribute a smooth roast and color.
I have two young kids so always looking at ways to save time, and this should make two nice contrasting weizens with little extra work. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back