Two Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forestgrover

Reaction score
My first is a chocalatey wheat, and it took off in a matter of hours last night which was fantastic cause it's going strong, the second is a citrusy wheat and that's where my problem is...there is absolutely nothing going on, this hasn't ever happened to me before so I don't know if I should still be waiting for it to start, or if I should be going to buy more yeast to pitch, both were the same type of yeast and I rehydrated them the same. Any help would be great.:confused:

If it's been less than 36 hours, let it go. I've had a batch do nothing for a day and a half, then take off vigorously.

That's what i've been reading so thanks for the input because I'm still hopefull, but to answer "the bird" yeah i did them both last night, so it's been 15 hours probably

My first homebrew took ~3 days to start up. Wait 48 - 72 hours then repitch if you still see nothing.

Also, what are you using for your primary? Is everything sealed properly? I've heard stories of people who saw no activity pop the top to see either Krausen or Krausen that has fallen.

I am using those siphon caps that have two tips on top, the cap is tight, the little tip is tight and so is the hose, and my rock is holding the line underwater (not closing off the air, and yes, it's ghetto, but I didn't feel like going back to the brew store and getting an airlock.

Regardless of whether or not I have to pitch again or not, i'm going vacationing for a week so it will be done when I come back, which is nice.

I took another look and all the yeast is just sitting at the bottom, now I know you said not to worry, and I'm not but could stirring it up get it going faster? I'm impatient...

Just leave it alone for now. I know it's hard to do, especially with the first couple brews, but in the immortal words of Charlie Papazian, "Relax, don't worry. Have a homebrew." Or in your case a store-bought brew :D

My second brew, an IPA, did the same thing. After 36 hours I was panicking. After 48 it was going crazy. Let it ride man:rockin:

After taking another gander at my actionless carboy....there appears to be some molding...which baffles me because that was the batch I took my time with and made sure everything was sterilized....

Are you sure it's mold? Take a photo and post it. Could just be some floating krausen or hop-looking crud from the blow-off.

Normally I would agree but since there has been no fermenting in this one yet, I highly suspect mold....I will try to find my camera and post a pic, don't expect an infestation though its just a couple half dime looking fuzzy things.

My chocolate wheate brew is only bubbling maybe every 20 seconds after a day and a half using the dry yeast is came with, is it stuck or could it seriously have gone this fast?

Also...the other brew has yet to begin fermenting and I'm still hopefull that it will start by the time I wake up tomorrow, but if not, should I buy another dry yeast or go with some liquid yeast to pitch, I am leaving sunday for 7 days so I gotta figure out what to do rather quickly.

Just in case anyone was curious how this all ended, my chocalte wheat fermented in a day and a half, so it got racked to the secondary, I bought new wheat yeast and pitched that and it took off in 2 hours, so I came to the conclusion the yeast that came with my lme was just old because it's going nuts, going away for 7 days and plan to bottle then rack the other to the secondary.

and thats the end of that chapter

Latest posts

Back