Two batches, low abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliesmith1979

Reaction score
So I've brewed 2 batches, a Belgian pale ale and a racer 5 IPA clone. I completely forgot on first brew of pale ale to take OG. I did for IPA and was. 1.050 with FG of 1.020. What I'm now calling a IPA light :)

So, while I've been getting different opinions form fellow friends that brew, the biggest thing that is consensus is to make a yeast starter. Other than that, with ferment, pitch and boil temps being spot on for IPA, how else do I hit that FG? Btw I'm partial mashing.

charliesmith1979 said:
So I've brewed 2 batches, a Belgian pale ale and a racer 5 IPA clone. I completely forgot on first brew of pale ale to take OG. I did for IPA and was. 1.050 with FG of 1.020. What I'm now calling a IPA light :)

So, while I've been getting different opinions form fellow friends that brew, the biggest thing that is consensus is to make a yeast starter. Other than that, with ferment, pitch and boil temps being spot on for IPA, how else do I hit that FG? Btw I'm partial mashing.

Need process, recipes and mash temps, lots of variables including the quality of the crush on the grains.

Poor crush, high mash temps, types of extract, strains of yeast, fermentation temps, starters all play into not only the OG but the ability of the yeast to properly and fully attenuate for FG

If your lack of attenuation is fermentation related, it's probably a lack of yeast, so you're correct making a starter is a good idea. I'd recommend using a yeast starter calculator like yeastcalc.com or mrmalty.com. It could also be that you're not aerating enough or that your fermentation temps are off.

It could also be that although your wort is hitting its OG mark, that the wort isn't very fermentable. Meaning that there are enough sugars in solution, but the yeast are not able to consume the sugars. Extracts can often be the cause of this. Or, it could be your rest temperatures, etc.

My first thought is that this is yeast related. Pitching the correct amount of yeast is extremely important to attenuation and making great beer in general.

Back