Two Batches at One Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making two Belgian dark ales at one time in my 15 gallon pot. I'll end up with about 6 gallons that I'll split between two fermenters and then top off.
In anyone's experience, is there anything I need to be aware of, other than the obvious, when making a double batch?

Thanks.

I only have a 10 gallon brew kettle and make double 5 gallon batches regularly. I use a grain bill as if I was making 10 gallons, but only use enough strike and sparge water to yield about 9 to 9 1/2 gallons pre-boil. After the boil, I usually have around 8 gallons of wort. I split the wort between two 7 gallon conical fermenters and top off with water so each has 5 1/2 gallons. Essentially, I am making a higher gravity wort and then diluting it before fermentation.

It is easy to do and yields twice the beer. In addition, I experiment by adding different hops into each fermenter before pitching yeast and/or dry hopping with different hops and by using different yeasts. I currently have two IPA's fermenting. Both were hopped with Pacific Gem at 60 min., and Centennial at 5 mi. and flame out. When I split the wort into the fermenters, I added an ounce of Centennial into one and an ounce of Eureka into the other. I will dry hop each using Centennial and Eureka respectively. I also used Imperial Pub Yeast in one batch and Imperial Flagship in the other. While the beers will be similar, there will definitely be subtle differences.

@pvpeacock
I never thought about being able to experiment (only small changes) since I was only concerned about what missing knowledge there could be when doing two batches at one time.

I could try different Belgian yeasts (I only do dry). Since I know dry works without making a cream, I could see if the yeast (Mangrove's M-41) does even better by spending the time to make a cream. The hops I'm gong to leave alone. If I were doing an IPA, like you are, I might.

Just to make sure, what I get from your post, as far two batches at once, there isn't anything to look out for other than twice as much beer but also time saved.
Thanks.

Belgian candy syrups don't need to be boiled, so you could try adding different brands, colours or amounts to each fermenter.
You can also steep specialty grains separately and bring the wort from it to a boil then add directly to one fermenter only.
You can make hop-teas that go to one fermenter only to change the bitterness and/or hop flavour.
You could even make a Belgian dubbel but add extra stuff to one of the fermenters to turn it into a Dark Strong Ale. Or make a Golden strong but add stuff to one to make it into a dark strong.

There are many possibilities with split batches.

@Gnomebrewer
Yes, clearly many possibilities but I'm very conservative when it comes to experimenting. My main focus is on whether or not there are surprises waiting for me if I do two batches at once. So far, there doesn't seem to be which is great.

Back