Two Bad Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Brewed a Hefe and a Cali Common and both turned out funky. The Hefe has an unpleasant taste and aroma. I do not detect any banana or close taste. it's hard to really pin point what it really is. Mouthfeel is not pleasant.

The Cali Common, initially had what I would describe as astringent, grain alcohol aroma and taste. That was three weeks ago. I tried one again last night and it's still there but not as bad. Another note when this one was fermenting there was a sour aroma coming from the bucket- it was something that I never encountered so not sure if that played a part in the way this brew turned out. The sourness dissipated as fermentation went along so I chalked it up to the yeast.

I reviewed my process and I really don't see what I could have done to cause these issues. The Cali one could have been a temp issue. I fermented 14 days at about 65 give or take a degree or two and the second part was to ferment for 14 days at 56, which temp fluctuated between 56 an 58 but I could not go the full 14 days. Went 10 then bottled.

I don't think it's a sanitation or cleanness issue. I don't think it's oxidation as the temps never would have gotten close to 80 degrees. Yeast pitch temps for both were about 70 degrees-method of aeration is shaking the carboy or bucket and that has worked for my previous other brews.

These two brews were the first time I used liquid yeast. Both were pitched directly without the use of a starter. Could the issue be due to over-pitching? At the time I didn't have the equipment to make a starter and the LHBS said it would be ok to pitch the entire package (Wyeast smack pack).

How would one go about determining what went wrong? Is it basically a process of elimination? I really do not have any experienced craft brew drinkers in my area that could taste a sample and provide feed back so I am relying on what I perceive the off flavor to be.

Also, I harvested yeast from both brews. With the off flavors, would it be a good idea to use this yeast for future batches or best to ditch?

My first guess would be sanitation. What are you using to sanitize? You have temp control so that is a plus and I don't think you over pitched.

I doubt if any of the problem can be attributed to over pitching. Most likely under pitching the yeast if your brews are over one gallon.

What was the volume in the fermentors and which yeasts were you using?

Could also be a cleaning/sanitation problem. What do you use to clean your equipment before sanitizing?

My first thought is also infections. If you have a well established infection in your equipment, Starsan might not be enough to kill it.

Oxidation is from exposing the beer to oxygen, not temperature and would give you a wet cardboard taste.

What size brews are these. If 5 gallons you did not over-pitch. More likely if 5 gallons they were under-pitched but that should not lead to the off flavors you are describing.

Temperature or time should not be the problem with the California Common although the schedule is more like a traditional lager than a California Common which is a beer using lager yeast but fermented like an ale.

It could be a water issue, did you use water different than usual?

If you cannot definitely eliminate infection as an issue I would not use the yeast again.

You could take a little of the yeast and make a mini batch of beer. If it still tastes bad - ditch it.

I doubt if any of the problem can be attributed to over pitching. Most likely under pitching the yeast if your brews are over one gallon.

What was the volume in the fermentors and which yeasts were you using?

Could also be a cleaning/sanitation problem. What do you use to clean your equipment before sanitizing?

One batch brewed in a 2 gallon ferm bucket and the other batch was in 2 one gallon carboys. I use oxy free to clean and starsan to sanitize. I really dont see how it could be an infection but I guess anything is possible.

Back