Two 20# CO2 tanks for $100. Good Deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Local Craigs list add.
I have two full co2 tanks 20 lb bottles good for kegs ,paint ball guns users ,ect give me a call xxx-xxxx
100.00 for both

Call or fold?

That is not bad it will even be better if they are current on their pressure test, but for a few more bucks you can get then hydro tested and you will be set... Last time i had an out of date tank i just swapped it and was set.

I'm looking at a kit now and 5 lb tanks are $60 new. Aluminum.

Are they steel or aluminum? Regardless, probably a good deal

I'm looking at a kit now and 5 lb tanks are $60 new. Aluminum.

Are they steel or aluminum? Regardless, probably a good deal

Aluminum. Talked to the guy and I can get the pair for $80. He says they are old Pepsi tanks and he bought them at an auction and will furnish the receipt. What problems does this pose, if any?

Aluminum. Talked to the guy and I can get the pair for $80. He says they are old Pepsi tanks and he bought them at an auction and will furnish the receipt. What problems does this pose, if any?

Well, I recently bought a 20# CO2 tank that turned out to be a Pepsi tank. After talking to 3 different gas supply places, here's what they told me:

Store 1: We don't touch Pepsi/Coke tanks, no matter what.
Store 2: We only care if they are Pepsi/Coke tanks if they're over 80#'s.
Store 3: Traded it out without even batting an eye.

Check with the stores near you and see if there is an issue with it. A lot of stores will still refill/trade them out, if you can show a receipt of purchase. Some it doesn't matter, won't touch it no matter what.

The word "old" means it's likely that they're past the hydro certification date, which means they'll likely be more expensive to fill or swap the first time you do it. If you keep the tanks, you'll need to get them hydro tested every 5 years. If you swap, you'll just need to pay the hydro fee once. Around here the hydro fee is ~$20 per tank at most welding shops (regardless of size), and a 20# swap is $24. Sometimes when doing a swap with a nicer looking tank, they won't notice or care that the hydro is out of date, and won't charge you for it.

And as mentioned, if it has prominent pepsi markings on it, you may need to shop around to find a place that will swap/fill it for you.

The word "old" means it's likely that they're past the hydro certification date, which means they'll likely be more expensive to fill or swap the first time you do it. If you keep the tanks, you'll need to get them hydro tested every 5 years. If you swap, you'll just need to pay the hydro fee once. Around here the hydro fee is ~$20 per tank at most welding shops (regardless of size), and a 20# swap is $24. Sometimes when doing a swap with a nicer looking tank, they won't notice or care that the hydro is out of date, and won't charge you for it.

And as mentioned, if it has prominent pepsi markings on it, you may need to shop around to find a place that will swap/fill it for you.

Well I am not set up to keg anymore,and this will be my first step back. I figure it'll be a while before I empty two 20#ers even after I get set up, which will be a while. Not bad for $80 I think, if not world shattering.

Back