Twist off bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocnSun

Reaction score
Will these bottles not work. I have noticed most say to buy a craft beer or a beer that does not have a twist off cap. I usually buy cans and am making an inventory of bottles. No need to buy air in a bottle! Grats!:tank:

With all due respect I just found the search mech and how it works. Thanks for any repiles.

I've used twist off bottles accidentally before. The cap was harder to attach. It seemed to seal just fine. Didn't even notice until I opened the bottle. I don't make a habit of it though.

I used a mix of twist off and pop top bottles on one batch.. of the 51 bottles, about 30 were twist off and most leaked.
That was using a entry level wing capper, not a full bell bench type.

Never the less, mistake recognized, and not repeated.

So long as you plan ahead, pop top bottles are easy to come by.. Ask friends to rinse and save bottles for you.

You'll through a bunch away as they will give you twist offs and bottles with crap stuffed inside.. do waste your time, just toss.

Before you know it, you'll have more good bottles saved up then you can store.

I use the twist off's all the time. Never had an issue. As long as my capper can grip the flange on the bottle they seal. They do require a little more pressure on the capper to get fully sealed, but have never given me any trouble!

Back